Monday, January 2, 2012

Hikin', Eatin', Kickin' and Sailin' into 2012

Thank you God for the ability to share in the wonder of your world!  Happy 2012!  I think we've tried to capture the last moments of 2011 and hail the new year with fun, friendship, and fellowship.  We certainly went charging forth hikin', eatin', kickin', and sailin' into it!

New Year's Eve we decided that the day was perfect for a hike.  We are really charting new hiking ability with LD's legs starting to be able to endure more hikin'.  That's exciting for us, because we do enjoy getting out for a picnic and blazing down a trail.  It's been a little while since we've been able to do more than a short distance and LD's growth has well exceeded this mamma's back strength and endurance.  We headed off to hike the Judd Memorial Trail (aka Jacka** Ginger Swimming Hole).  We LOVED it!  A creek crossing, a
1-mile loop (which for most people would take an hour at most, but not for our clan...we take it all in when little legs dictate how fast we can go), dry terrain for the majority of the hike=adventure and fun well...except for that ooey gooey mud!  We are already plotting the LD friendly hikes for 2012.  We're hiking hooked again and it feels grrr-rrr-eat!

My hiking happy clan on the trail

Enjoying one of our many "takin' in the scenery" moments

My Diva was doin' just fine...
until she had oozy-gooey mud
splashed up onto her leg after
stepping around the roots.

Some parts of this hike were surreal with the
size of the Cook pines. 
*notice LD is
happy again...
seconds after the madder-than-a wet-hen
photo*


<>
<>
 
The clan about ready to cross the stream..again.
HS led the way, LD followed behind with HH guiding her.




My Velcro pal and I followed shortly after.
We did fine. 
Until I dropped the bloody hat I'm holding.
Darn my sentimental attachments...
I went right on in...
soaking my shoes entirely.


Cross this and you're on one beautiful hike!

Once we cleaned up from hiking, it was almost time for the progressive New Year's Party with neighborhood friends.  I must admit, I adore progressive dinner parties.  This is the first one I've participated in since my own childhood.  Now I am reminded of why they are so addicting...it is a great way to spend time with friends in a relaxed and fun way.  We made it to 10PM and rung in the New Year along with Denver.  The kids banged pots and pans (mom, you would have been proud!), toasted in the New Year with the last glasses of eggnog, and then headed upstairs.  HH and I tried to stay up til midnight, but well, I guess we just are getting old or value our sleep...

What a great group of friends to chat with as 2011
 wound
down and we geared up for 2012!

JIKC's tradition of having New Year's training on the beach began in 1975. They haven't skipped a beat and for the past 4 years, neither have we.  We kicked off the New Year with  170 other dojo members and their families down at Ala Moana Beach Park.   It is an incredible sight to witness all out training and recommitting themselves to a year of hard work, discipline, and camaraderie at 0800.    Hard to believe HS had just put the yellow belt around his waist when he began and now there is a solid black belt around that same waist *tear*.  I adore JIKC...if I haven't written it before...what a phenomenal dojo to be a member of!  We chose well and are focused on taking advantage of all it has to offer while stationed here.

LD's usual spot...in front and playing
in the sand. 


HS's favorite...sparring.
Not mine after watching a grueling black belt exam...
OK...so it was already three months ago, but still fresh
in this momma's mind.


So proud of this guy.



These three delight my heart.


After kickin' in the New Year with the dojo, we started sailin' in the year on the pristine waters of Kaneohe Bay.  We asked a few friends to join us for an afternoon relaxin', explorin', and enjoying the sandbar.  On of our favorite ways to relax and take in Hawai'i.  A huge shout out of thanks to the G Ohana and G Ohana for introducing us to the fun of taking the pontoon boats out during our first year on island...it was indeed the gift that keeps on givin'!  I planned lunch and the kids played as the adults chatted and took in the beauty of being in the middle of the bay.  A huge hit to all...the paddle board.  Even the kids had a good time trying to maneuver around.  It's quite amazing to be out at the beginning of January still enjoying the sun (or episodes of it...our day was slightly overcast) while we know that family and friends on the mainland are freezing.  *sigh* I miss those days...now.  But I'm fairly certain that when I'm the one freezing my hind end off, I'll be missing moments like today. 



Can I just say, WOW.  Between my HH and the view
behind him, I'm in LOVE!

Enjoying food and chatter on the pontoon.

Happy New Year's Day everyone!

So, this is what lies under the water line.

Glad the W. Clan has moved in...lookin' forward to more
adventures!

Run!  Daddy has the GINORMOUS water gun!

B. takin' in the calm of the day.


It's been a great day. We had a fantastic ringin' in of the New Year and kept that feeling going into the newness of 2012!   I'm thankful for our health, family, and our friends.  Thank you God for another wonderful day that only you can provide!  Thanks to my HHs been a great day. We had a fantastic ringin' in of the New Year and kept that feeling going into the newness of 2012!   I'm thankful for our health, family, and our friends.  Thank you God for another wonderful day that only you can provide!  Thanks to my HH for providing an adventure that none of us will forget!  Thanks to my kiddos for bearing with me as I kept pointing my new waterproof camera in their direction to test it out!  Thanks to the friends who came along for the ride...it wouldn't have been the same without you!

1 comment:

Eriu said...

What a wonderful way to start a new year! Beautiful photos - particularly of the hike. Those trees are unbelievable! Happy New Year to you and your awesome little clan. :)