Thursday, January 5, 2012

Wave Peepin'

We've lived here now for three years and we're well on the way into our fourth.  One thing that people always ask me about is surfing & wave heights.  Well.  Newsflash.  Those high waves that we all hear about only come during the winter and don't stay at 25ft all winter.  So, in order to see the massive swells that appear to devour the surfers who are brave and experienced enough to challenge their wrath you must be prepared.  Yep.  The "drop everything that you were thinking of doing on that day" prepared.  The minute the weather man announces the high surf warning, throw the beach chairs into the back, gather some beach toys, and buckle up the kids and make your way up to the beautiful North Shore where you will instantly be surrounded by other "wave peepers" (in the east you have leaf peepers, we have wave peepers and I'm proud to claim the title of both) driving slowly down the North Shore's only main road and get ready for mother nature at her best.

The kiddos and the waves along
Sunset Beach
aka The Pipeline

Well.

In theory.

We were still pretty impressed with the waves reaching
15ft...
neither of the kiddos asked to go in.  They were happy
enough to play in the sand and watch the sea churn.
 You see, I've done this every winter since we've been on island.  I gear up the kids, make sure that the camera is ready and fully charged and then make my pilgrimage.  Only, what I get to experience is some massive ways for any mainland standard, but I have yet to really watch those 25-35 ft waves crashing.  Now that I really think about that prospective while sitting here looking out towards the mountains that lead us to the North Shore, I'm not so sure that I have the courage to really see them.  I mean, really see them.  They have been known (or so the lore has been told) to sweep over that very same road that I just mentioned.  Leaving lots of water behind.  Maybe I'll witness the massive nature of these waves from tonight's news instead. 

Or...

Next time there's a warning, I'm sure I'll do what I've done before.

Throw the chair in the back of my cat bus, gather the beach toys, and buckle in the kids to make our way up to the beauty of the North Shore and the waves that make this a pretty darn special place to be.

HS always finds the fun in a situation.
Especially when I'm busily telling
him that he's going to see
the Daddy of All Waves...
sometime.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear One,

I so wish we were lose enough to share the adventure of the "big" waves once again!

They were purely magical, but not as magical as time spent together!!!

Love always and forever,
Mom