Friday, November 7, 2014

Mazes, Pumpkins, and Costuming Magic


This was a great year for Halloween.  Seriously.  It was.  I am not saying that previous Halloween's haven't been wonderful but this one was magical.  

This was the first year we've been able to spend it with my parents and have the very talented costume maker, Grandma, enjoy the fruits of her creative labor.  

We had Halloween off from school so we drove up the night before Halloween and then made sure that we hit the ground running on Halloween morn.  First stop, Jeter Farm in Roanoke.  This was a beautiful spot with views of the surrounding Roanoke Valley wrapping around us.  The farm has been in operation since 1853!  They are well into their 5th generation running the farm.  What a delight it was to walk through the maze feeling the call of generations gone by.


The gentlemen made it through the corn maze in a flash.  The ladies, however, took time to stop and enjoy the surroundings and well, one of us may have become a little lost in the process.  Ahem.  Me.

Zane was a Harlequin Clown




We headed home from Jeter Farm with our arms loaded with pumpkins.  One can never have to many of these heralders of fall!  HS and LD took a lot of time planning out their "perfect" designs. HS had at least ten different ideas and well, LD went onto another entire page all together.  That was definitely part of the fun of carving!

This year HS did all his own carving and gutting himself.  Truly, does this kid ever stop growing up?  Don't answer that.  I'm pretty proud of him!

Sam Flynn from Tron
Beautiful Peacock
Sam Flynn the Protector of the Peacock


Trick-or-treat!  
Grandma did an amazing job again on the costuming.  Both kiddos couldn't have been more proud to strut their stuff around the neighborhood as they embraced their Halloween character.  I am fairly certain that no matter how old they get they will remember how much Grandma loves them and the array of costumes that she has designed are sure to stand as sentinels helping to shape their ideal Halloween.

Happy Halloween 2014



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful costumes. I truly wish I had sewing skills too! One good thing about homemade costumes is that they last longer than the store-bought kind!

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much said...

I often tell my mom that I wished I had paid closer attention when she was trying to teach me how to sew! I am so thankful that she enjoys creating the kiddos costumes!

Betsy Hart said...

Those are pretty awesome costumes! And what a pretty doggie you have =)