This is our first experience with HS riding a school bus (ok...maybe his second experience, but in Newport, the bus pulls up to the houses of kindergarten kiddos...that creates a more intimate moment). It has been about five months of this new tangled experience and it seems like the best way to survive and thrive is to keep a few things in mind:
~ inclement weather does not mean you get a free card from walking your beloved down to the bus. Grab extra layers, umbrellas, foot Warner's, whatever the case may be to keep you from clanging your teeth together or looking like a drowned rat by the time you're giving your "pep talk" about having a good day at school.
~ just because your tween says they are old enough to walk down to the stop and they don't need you to see them off at the bus door does not mean a hill of beans. They do want you to walk with them so don't fall into the tween angst. It is totally cool for your mo to walk beside you chatting about Minecraft or discussing the latest in safety patrol matters. They don't want to have that conversation with "just anyone" so don't take it to heart when they announce "don't worry...you don't need to head down with me." Grab your jacket, the dog, and start walking.
~ being at the bus stop first is a huge deal. Really. When your Darlin' knows when they are approaching lateness n their firstness, they'll be sure to let you know with a huge announcement of panic..."that was the second clock chiming eight...I'm gonna be late!" *please note...it takes only about three minutes to walk to our stop and even with leaving at eight,we have about seven minutes to wait.*
~ get used to exclamations from all kids as the dogs all converge on the bus stop to see their favorite friends depart.
"Ooh, YUCK! He just smelled his butt!"
"Gross! She just drooled down my leg!"
"Nasty! Now they are all tangled up smelling butts."
~ realize that the bus stop is not only a place for the kids to be social but for the parents, too. This is not a popularity contest moment or a need to dress to the nines. Wear whatever you put on, brush your hair, and head on down to the corner to catch up on the daily happenings of 'da hood.
~ admire the love of putting on a bright neon green safety belt with a well earned safety patrol badge. If your Darlin chooses to participate in this program be proud. Be busting at the seems proud. It takes courage to be that kid who takes it upon themselves to keep the others safe.

7 comments:
My kids never rode the bus so it was fun to read your perspective of it. I wonder if it took a while to decide you didn't have to fuss about what you were wearing to the bus stop. I am not sure the bus crowd is quite ready for how I looked when trying to get the kids together for school!
Dear One,
Attitude is everything! I love your post because you are sticking to your parenting guns and not letting pre-teen emotional angst get in the way of making a lasting memory... HS will say later...
"MY mom cared enough to take time for me...."
...and he will not remember that you did not match or look like you stepped off a fashion runway!
I did have to giggle about the dogs sniffing butts.... they are something else!
Love you
Mom
Like your new look! Love your blogs!
I think most of the time I head down with whatever yoga pants and shirt I can quickly get my hands on... No make up, hair in a simple pony or covered by a hat.
It's not until I return back to the house and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror that I think..."yep. I haven!t had enough coffee to begin this mornin' yet!"
I must look pretty frightening to those who are on their way to work ;)
Thanks for stopping by May to read!
I just have to say that I remember the Newport bus stop slightly different then my wonderful sister. HS started riding the bus in December when little one was about to make her appearance. December in Newport is cold, very cold, and usually windy, very windy, and snowy and HS and I would not walk just outside the house to get on the bus we would have to walk up to the top of the street and stand outside on the corner of the little mini-mart grocery store. One time we stood and stood and stood getting colder and colder and no bus. Walked HS back down the street to the house where we called the school district to find that the bus was not running that day due to weather. After the new baby came into this world the bus stopped at the door, but before that we were cold - very cold :o). Just saying, it is amazing what an older sister will do for her younger sister!!
Must write a blog on Ode to My Big Sis...
It must have been my post-LD delivery...
I completely spaced that he started in Dec riding the bus...
Now I know that the bus folk must have taken pity on me during New England winters and picked up right from our stoop after discovering that my Awesome sister had left me all alone ;)
Have I told you lately how much I love you? Mwah!
Post a Comment