Monday, February 12, 2007

"Wetting Down" the Newest LCDR





After a very hectic week of preparing Jon's Wetting Down, we have taken this Sunday to declare it a day of relaxation. Last night we hosted eighteen people for an evening of celebrating Jon's promotion in a tradition "wetting down". It is interesting how much of a bond you create with others who serve the military and how each bond you create enriches your experience of living in the Navy world. I was asked last night what I thought of the Navy...talk about a loaded question! Honestly, what I think about the Navy is that the bond you develop is akin to family, the men and women who serve have a devotion to family unlike any other than I have watched in the "normal" world, and the opportunity to truly learn about other cultures is a gift that few jobs could provide. I guess "job" is the wrong word here...the Navy as with the other services is not a job but a way of life that as a daughter brought up in the Air Force culture has been extremely interesting to learn...almost ten years later the Navy lifestyle has merged into my Air Force heart: I think in Navy lingo, I breath the facets of the lifestyle that I thought for the beginning I would never get used to, and now watching Jon reach another Navy milestone, I couldn't be any prouder of him. Now...back to relaxing!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Dear One,

One of the greatest revelations of my life has been that the friends we aquired as a couple during dad's Air Force career were closer in many ways to us than were our blood family. There is, indeed, a bond of shared experience and survival that forges very strong bonds of trust and understanding that is often missing from the "civilins" of the world.

Although we have been gone from the realm of the official family for almost fifteen years, I feel that we could walk into the military environment and instantly feel "home." We are blessed that our girls have married men who allow us that luxury.

"Home is," as one of my favorite cross-stitched pieces says, "where the Air Force sends me." It is also true that military families are challenged to "Bloom where [they are] planted, and transplanted, and transplanted." Thank God we still have individuals who are willing to pay the price (and experience the joys) of that transplantation!

Live the adventure with gusto...we will share it whenever and wherever we can! Newport in March!

Love,
Mom