Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Pigment of Our Imagination


Oh boy did we have a great day today! After enjoying a bike ride/run and playing outside while LD napped this mornin', we headed over to the Bishop Museum to check out their exhibit, "Animation." One of the perks we've discovered with being members is that we can pop in for an hour or so and check out the latest revolving exhibit. This one was certain to be a crowd pleaser (all of them have been, but this one caught HS's eye as he was exploring our museum magazine). Although it has been at the museum for a while, we purposely waited to go until we could make it a spring break visit. So, today was the day. HS is officially on spring break! Animation, watch out! We're coming your way!!!

I don't think HS truly understood all that he would be subjected to. I don't think I did either. Usually, these exhibits take about an hour to enjoy. Then we move on. However, this one was different from the start. A truly hands-on learning environment, we spent well over two enjoying each station. HS created a storyboard, became a "Foley" or soundman, lent his voice to the animation, and even created his very own moving horse (which took longer than the split second it galloped...as HS said, "WOW! That's a lot of work for that!!!")

LD delighted herself by posing for the camera and then squealed and pointed at the screen as her poses were turned into movement. All of us joined in the fun of illusion when we jumped as high as we could while making a silly face. Our jump now looks as though we are screaming our way through "Dexter's Laboratory."




Ahhh...our imagination was tapped today. Tomorrow, it will be a mere pigment.

***Special Note: If you are local (you know who you are) then get thee to the Bishop Museum with your kiddos before May 10th...you won't be disappointed***

1 comment:

Mom said...

Dear Ones,

What a perfect place for our prince! The drawing he is looking at are so similar to the ones he draws! It had to be affirming for him...

The princess? What can I say? Oh, that's right: I can say she is truly adorable and the one by herself looks like her mom used to. I care not what others say.

Wish I could have shared this day in paradise.