Friday, January 1, 2010

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou

We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce



Someone pinch me. I'm serious. Don't stare at the screen and reread the request. Where in the world did 2009 go? Just yesterday, we were ringing it in!

It seems as if this year is a blur of events and since we have no way to base any of these events in a seasonal way, they all seem to have occurred simultaneously. It is only when I look through the pictures over the year that I can see just how much we've accomplished and just how many triumphs and challenges we've faced. Our book for 2009 will be closed tonight. Placed on a shelf in our minds.

We begin a new book at midnight. What will be etched on these pages? What will be our special moments, triumphs, and tribulations? Will 2010 vanish as quickly as 2009? All I know for certain, is that New Year's Eve always gives me pause. It makes me contemplate who I have become over the year and what opportunities I may have over the New Year to change or build on myself. Here's my "short" list of desires for 2010:

~ Learning the ancient art of Hula.
~ Volunteering twice a month in HS's classroom
~ Searching out ways to make my writing work for me
~ Enjoying the little moments with LD
~ Developing enough patience to withstand the terrible twos
~ Seeking ways to build an even stronger relationship with HH
~ Taking more time out for my Faith
~ Saying "no" to things that do not build my family up and only serve as time
drainers.
~ Allowing myself to dream, read, and share those dreams with my family
~ Relishing in visits from family and friends


Hau'oli Makahiki Hou dear family and friends! May you have the best New Year full of happiness, good health, and as much love as you can hold!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Dear One,

I will be more than happy to oblige you in your quest to enjoy visits... I will be on my way before you and I know it...

Unfortunately, our trip will pass like a summer storm... tis the way of life... we never get enough of a good thing!

I admire all of your quests...they will make the year-to-come rich and fulfilling!

Gotta go; I have a quiet book to get done!

Love always and forever,
Mom