Sunday, December 4, 2011

He's Making a List...

Checking it trice.
Gonna find out which bra's been
Naughty or nice...
San'ta must first duck through da' door.

Ok...so I took a tad bit of liberty in the traditional song.  But trust me, if you'd been standing with us today waiting for the arrival of Santa Claus back to the big chair in the middle of the NEX today, you would have stood there in amazement like the four of us did as we witnessed a whole new type of Santa emerge from the doors of the main exchange.  Then you would have heard the squeals coming from LD as she raced up to him and came only up to his kneecap.  She leaned her head all the way back as she smiled up to him and tenderly raised her hand up to him as she whispered, "Santa...this...this...I brought this for you."  In her clutched hand was a Mary Englebriet clipping that she had saved just for this occasion: a thin, jolly, old Santa with a rather trim beard carrying his bag of toys for all to enjoy.

The one pictured in her hand was not at all like the version of the Santa standing in front of her.  This Santa was ginormous (some may despise that word, but heck..when the shoe fits to use it, then I'm gonna!)  He towered over the tall; peered down at all with his jolly smile and rosy red cheeks; there wasn't anything we could say when he sauntered up to our clan.

He said not a word, but went straight to his work...listening to all the requests from all the boys and girls around Pearl Harbor.  LD has been waiting for the past week to see him.  According to the elves who worked during the week, the "weekend" Santa was the most popular.  So, here we stood.  Next to the knees of one big guy both tall and wide.  So, most popular or not,  I must admit that I think he could hear the intake of air as I wondered if all the excitement LD had was going to go up in smoke as she wailed a siren cry that would make grown men cry.  She walked up.  HS took his time as he looked at me in disbelief.  Nine years and he's seen a lot of Santas, but not one quite like this.  I'd say he would have wailed or ran if he could.  He sat.  LD sat.  They peered at his real overly busy beard.  They peered over at us and then boldly chartered off on another Christmas tradition and got to the nitty gritty of why we had voyaged to the exchange in the 1st place. 

     Santa, I think I've been OK this year.  I'm really busy in 4th grade and what I'd really like is a way to keep my sister out of my room during the day.  So, I was thinking I could get a trap wire that allows all to know she's entered my room.  I'd also like to have a model of a boat.  I'd love that.  Whatever else you think I'd like would be nice.  Thanks.

     Well.  I'm really good.  I think.  Except when I'm not listening.  Or when I'm crying.  But usually that's because I'm upset.  I brought my brother today...see..I told you I'd come back with him (note: each time we went to the commissary beginning in about June she frequently wonders or makes not that Santa is not there.  Once he was seen right before Thanksgiving, then she would proudly wave, welcome him back to Hawaii and tell him she'd be back to visit once her brother could come, too.) 
                                   All I want is a dollhouse and a Hello Kitty Watch.  Please. 

Then, like a blink of the eye and a puff of air, the moment was over.  Kaput. 

We had encountered our 1st taste of a real Hawaiian Style Santa...
Samoan Style and we loved every minute of it. 




No comments: