My alarm went off at 0300. In a daze I woke up, padded downstairs to brew a cup of coffee and then headed back upstairs still half asleep as I sipped on my coffee and tried to wake up the kiddos. We staggered to get dressed and brush teeth before grabbing the backpacks waiting by the door. We stood outside in the dark awaiting the bus that would take us five hours to our destination in the remote mountainous highland valley in the Hida Mountain range in Nagano, Japan. Although we are definitely ITT frequent riders, after a late night rooting on the 8th grade advanced band, the last place I thought I should be was sitting in a bus. Only comfort...I encouraged a girlfriend to sign up for the tour and take her three kiddos. I'm so glad she chose to share the experience. Because, at 0430 dragging from lack of sleep and in a coffee deprived state,
I can say it felt like we were starring into the abyss of bus hell.
Until we saw this...
 |
| Taisho Pond in Kamikochi, Nagano |
The sky was the brilliant blue of bluebirds wings and the mountains just beckoned us to take a hike in Japan's paradise. It was as close to heaven as a place here can be. The ruggedness of the mountains, the crystal clear blue water that harkened back to my childhood spent camping in Glacier National Park, and the unbelievable masterpiece of fall leaves, all led me to keep thinking, "I so LOVE this place....a day just isn't going to be enough...Yokosuka? Who needs to go back? I'll just stay right. Here." Welcome to being close to heaven. You are in Kamikochi, part of the Northern Japanese Alps.
 |
| LD turning a sitting spot into a bridge |
The bus dropped us off at Taishoike bus stop. The area of Kamikochi lies within the Chubu-Sangaku National Park. Another interesting notable item about this area: it is listed as one of Japans Cultural Assets. Yes, that's right. Japan regards special places as assets and indeed they should. Would you have ever imagined that their could be a Yosemite or Grand Tetons look-a-like placed right in the middle of Japan? This is a preserved area...meaning...only one way to access the inner areas...by foot. The hiking course is about 6 miles that we had as our goal. Key word. Goal. Little feet, wandering creativity, and moms who like to take photos meant that we didn't get to hike the entire 6 mile loop trail, but we did hike the majority. *yeah*
 |
| Clan minus HH at Taisho Pond, Kamikochi |
We enjoyed hiking for almost five hours. We built towers with the rocks near the stream, enjoyed river crossings on the bridges, and even tried to skip some rocks across the water. We weren't in any jury and the exhaustion we may have felt or the hectic pace of life as a military wife faded quickly once we were able to inhale the pure mountain air. No noise. Only laughter and chatter.
 |
| Kamikochi, Nagano Prefecture, Japan |
 |
| Hotaka Bridge, Kamikochi, Nagano Prefecture |
One thing I've noticed over the past few months is the bond that HS and LD have. Sure they are still siblings who fight and pick at each other every now and then, but honestly, when we are away and adventuring, they delight in each other's company. I've watched HS take LD under his wing and show her just how fun "adventuring in Japan" can be. They don't complain about the hours in the bus, they await the excitement that is to come. I love them for that.
 |
| Azusa River, Kamikochi, Nagano Prefecture, Japan |
 |
When I see birches bend to left and right Across the lines of straighter darker trees, I like to think some boy's been swinging them. ~Robert Frost
|
 |
| Hiking is always adventurous |
By the afternoon, the sun was beginning to cast a glow on the trees. It felt as though some were on fire and others were on after burn. I love when you know you've been hiking all day because of what the sun's rays are doing on the landscape. Kamikochi is breathtaking. We've seen it now in the spring and in the fall and honestly, I'd go back again. This place is gorgeous no matter what the season.
 |
| Maple leaves at Gakusawa Wetlands, Kamikochi, Nagano Prefecture |
 |
| Gakusawa Wetlands, Kamikochi, Nagano Prefecture |
At 1500, we were back boarding the ITT bus. I definitely did my classic of dragging my feet for every last minute remaining....I wasn't ready to board the bus and be taken away from this magical place. Lucky for us, we had time to sit and soak our feet in an onsen (hot spring) and dream a bit more of our time on the trail with friends in an unforgettable backdrop of Kamikochi.
Yes, indeed.
Today, we were as close to heaven as we could be here in Japan.
 |
| Me and My Adventure Buds |
No comments:
Post a Comment