Saturday, June 28, 2008

Hitting a New Mark


Ok...this is a post I had to write. It has been on my mind for a while or at least for the past week and a half as we scoured the area in search of car #2. I had high hopes. No minivan for me! Why join the ranks of all mothers out there relegated to minivan status and the least spunky car from what the dear hubbies get to drive? Well, being raised to pay more attention to money matters than what your heart is really telling you that you "need" I made out my matrix of what I wanted out of car #2. It went something like this:

HH, I need one that is going to:
1. keep us safe with the wild and crazy drivers on this island (this comment was made several times just driving the 5 minute stretch to get us to the NEX)
2. cost less that 10,000. Why buy a 20,000 one if we may not bring it back to the Mainland in three or four years.
3. get us from point A to point B safely...see need "1" above
4. make me feel like a mom but be spunky and not old lady feeling... (ok I'm having difficulty with turning 34...I'll deal eventually...when I'm 35!)
5. haul kiddos from home to school in a carpool (purely selfish...with gas at $4.20 the idea of having some days not driving is very appealing. Plus, can you imagine the giggles I would have received saying, "yeah, I'd LOVE to be in your carpool but ummmm...well...I can only take one more pressed in between LD's magungis car seat base and HS's booster...no really, I can make room....oh please oh please let me join your carpool of 4!)
6. make me feel young!!! I'm not ready to grow up into "minivan mommy!"

Well, let's put it this way. Craiglist is awesome (for those of you who like to surf the net check it out...the site is kinda fun!) and within a few days I had located vehicles being sold by military members. Funny, they were all close to the 20,000 mark or older than the hills models with no space, they were spunky and would have made me feel BC (before kids), but really, is it illegal to put a kid as a hood ornament because the car only seats 2? So then I started looking for my dream...the Honda Pilot. Spunky, seating capacity that I wanted with a third row, and still qualified as a SUV. My kinda car. I was ready to buy. Only one problem. The price. Sorry, not paying the price for a dream. Back to reality. Enter the Nissan.

Looking over the postings I finally gave in. Minivans aren't bad. They fit the matrix. And they fit the desired price. So, looking at the Odyssey and Sienna we thought we were on our way until we both decided that maybe we should give another a look. Our little eyes caught a posting for a Nissan Quest being sold right on Ford Island.

My heart leapt. Could the price be right? Could this be the one? Oh my goodness it looks spunky and not minivanish! We went looked and hit the mark. We purchased the vehicle yesterday after a week of debate and I'm not embarrassed to say I'm a minivan mommy. I'm not a soccer mom (well, not yet anyway) but a martial arts mom. I'm proud to say we have seats now for visitors. I know, you're wondering about that desire to be spunky and younger. Oh yeah, I feel spunky and sassy driving my two kids and will feel happy to carpool with the friends from school knowing that they will be in a safe and secure car even with all the crazy drivers on the way to school this year!!!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Dear One,

Is it not amazing that the very thing we do not want to have is the very thing we need to have for our own welfare?

I remember having a conversation similar to the one that went on in your head when a certain high school sophomore went shopping with her dad for a "school" car. It had to be affordable (part of our family's lexicon of essentials), safe, and reliable. What fit the bill? Of course, it was a rather dated (as opposed to updated) white "familymobile" previously owned by an officer and his family. It was CHEAP, it was safe (Who would dare deal with a Toyota station wagon?), and it was reliable (took you through high school, college, and into your married life). No, it was neither fast nor exotic, but people did stare...They had to check out who the babe was who had the good sense to put her money in more important places than her wheels!!!! It is one of life's lessons that I am sure you will pass on to both Ry and Claire when they ask for a car and groan when they see your list of alternatives!!! I cannot wait!

If they have "kidneys" as grandpa Hayes used to say, they will have the good sense to understand that appearance does not always reflect reality (true in all aspects of life)...and, oh by the way, some of the sexiest, hottest ladies ever are those who have the self confidence to drive a minivan!!! Just look in the mirror and you will see.

Loving you all around the sea...
Mom

Kathleen Stander said...

My husband and I were able to raise three children without a minivan: It can be done!