Thursday, July 3, 2008

Beach Bums or Bust



As most of you know I shed huge tears when we prepared to leave Newport. During that tour we turned over a new leaf and now when asked where we want to live when we "grow up" we can tell people we could live on the East coast again...in New England... if our dream of Northern California somehow falls through. While we were there we loved hiking, biking, camping, exploring the quaint towns with clapboard houses and feel history coming to life on Revolutionary battlefields. What could be better?

Well, for HH, the notion of not being able to swim in section of the Atlantic was a little puzzling. The beach has been a main staple of his existence since he was born. For me, being immersed in water has never been a favorite of mine, but I always enjoy looking for shells, little critters along the shore, and watching the birds. FYI: I don't like murky water. I was raised in the middle of the country and was blind as a bat for the majority of my life. So, even though I love to swim, it is no wonder that deep water scares the tar out of me. Rhode Island offered us the opportunity to have less murky water, but with the temperature being so cold year round we became lovers of sailing and dreamers of kayaking in calm waters.

Enter Hawaii. How in the world is a non deep water lover going to deal with and love going to the beach in a state that is famous for its beaches? Well, conquer my fear I have begun to do since most importantly: I can see my toes!!! Yeehaw!!! I can see what's coming towards me from a distance away!!! Yet another big Yeehaw!!! There are rocks and crevices teeming with little shells, critters, and an endless changing scene as you enjoy the beach. So, I have begun to enjoy being a beach bum. Let's face it. You either go to the beach here or you sit in the house. The second option doesn't appeal since we are stuck in the confines of the Navy Lodge until the very end of July. So, out we have gone to stake out the best of the best.

Last weekend we headed to the North Shore. Now, don't get too excited. This may be the most popular destination for die hard surfers and the pictures you see of insane people surfing larger than life waves does happen on the North Shore, but not during the "summer". Right now, along the North Shore you can find calm seas, peaceful lagoons, and SEA TURTLES!!! Yes, sea turtles!!! Laniakea, the lagoon we went to, is famous for seeing Honu (green sea turtles) up close and personal. Take a look at http://www.turtles.org/laniakea.htm for more information on the beach area. It is an education in and of itself to go to this beach. This would mark my first ever snorkeling outing.

HH and HS headed out almost instantly. LD and I hung out along the shore marveling at the turtles as they swam in their environment. FYI they are huge!!! Aquariums do a good job at showing how they swim, but to see them bask in the sand is amazing. They She could probably hang out that way forever, but wrinkly skin begins to travel upwards and LD the raisin begins to emerge. HH traded places with me and I was off on my first snorkeling adventure.

Just getting the fins on takes practice. I tried several ways to get them on my feet but nothing seemed to work. The sand is certainly your enemy when it comes to putting on fins. By the time I got fins on and mask set I was really eager. Jana and I headed out to the open area of the lagoon. I felt great! I was gliding over the top of the water and felt fantastic. Until the water headed into my mask and I felt like I was drowning. Miner technical difficulties.

My second attempt proved to be fruitful as I worked hard at controlling my breathing and relaxed my anxiety. The world under the water's surface opened up like an upside down umbrella and captured your attentions as you tried to figure out what you were seeing. We saw sea cucumber as big as your forearm, mullusks, coral, kikakapu (multiband butterflyfish), and loads of humuhumunukunukuapua'a, the Hawaiian state fish(try to say that one fast!!!). I stayed out for a long time and enjoyed every second, minus those split seconds of calming my panic thinking a shark was lurking nearby.

Our time at Laniakea flew by. The turtles continued to swim and amaze other visitors as we left the lagoon and headed back to the car. The humuhumunukunukuapua'a kept swimming and letting everyone try to figure out how to pronounce his name correctly. Maybe becoming beach bums won't be so bad.


No comments: