
Today I felt honored. Honestly and truly honored to be asked by one of my friends in the neighborhood to take photos of her family as they welcomed home her husband from an IA. It was to be my first military homecoming that didn't take place within the comforts of a military base. I've been watching and helping out with some of the preparations leading up to this day. The anticipation has been building within them for a while now. Banners were meticulously made, hung, and arranged. Yellow ribbons flanked the pillars on their front porch. Dresses and shirts were purchased and the pantry stocked with favorite yummies. All that was missing was the hero of their home.
What an awesome moment it was to watch their family be reunited. How fantastic it was to hear the clapping of the civilians around me as I snapped the family's first embrace after saying farewell months ago. They touched me today. They've also made me thankful that the military provides such a wonderful extended family.
As we were driving back to the neighborhood, I could hear their eldest daughter (7) sigh with relief and then whisper, "I'm gonna remember this day forever." Remember she will. Just as I remember all the times my father walked back through our door after serving. A hero exists in all military families. One wears a uniform with pride, the other is the one who is less obvious. The one who makes the family continue on as if life were just as normal as any other child's would be.
Only on a homecoming day, the realization is that only a few are called to the duty to their country and the nation praises these individuals with applause. The nation rejoices in the arrival of one of these hero's and the sacrifices they and their family has made in order to keep the freedoms they enjoy. Is it worth the separation? Is it worth the loneliness? Is it worth the sleepless nights? Yes. I believe it is. The future of what these heroes, both military member and spouse do now will impact the generation whose eyes glow when their daddy return home.
I, too, will remember this day. So should you. Honor those men and women who are paying the ultimate price for your freedoms. Say thank you. Offer to assist a spouse who is taking care of the home front while their spouse fights for those things that you hold dear. Hug the children whose daddy or mommy can't hug them or kiss them goodnight. Applaud them when they return so that the room reverberates with your thanks.
1 comment:
OK...
You have done it again... The blog came up, the picture of the dad/hero swinging his princesses came into view, and "God Bless the USA" began to play...
I got teared up!
You truly were honored to share their time and did a very great job!
Thanks to you and all those "who also serve" for without you it would not be possible for these military members to serve us as they do.
God bless you and the USA.
Mom
Post a Comment