Friday, May 22, 2009

Ap*pre*ci*a*tion


Ap.pre.ci.a.tion~n. Recognition of the quality, value, significance, or magnitude of people and things.

This morning I attended the last PTG meeting of HS's 1st grade year. It's so hard to wrap my head around the fact that within two weeks, HS will no longer be a 1st grader. [I will save my thoughts on this for another post] The year has gone so quickly. I've really tried to immerse myself in volunteering with his school projects. LD has been a real trooper and from her stoller, can supervise all the tasks: goody basket assembly lines for Teacher Appreciation week, care packages for soldiers, distributing holiday grams to all the classrooms, cutting laminated items for teachers every Thursday, monitoring the lunch recess, or glue gunning American flags to dowels. Trust me. She's one tough supervisor. Don't let that cute chubby cheek smile fool ya!

I owe a lot of the school's success to not only an outstanding group of teachers, but a very active group of parents. It has been fun to step forward. With a relatively inactive military spouses' group for this current command, I have found that I have double the amount of energy to pour into the school. HS seems to thrive off the days when I say, "yep...I'll be in school today!" He seeks me out just to give a hug and a kiss, and yes, it is my way of ensuring he knows that wherever he goes, I'll be interested in what he's doing (LD's school experience will be much the same only I won't be the noobie in PTG work).

Today, after giving a lot of time, talent, and love into school projects, the faculty and staff held a breakfast in honor of the parent/grandparent volunteers. It was a way to say "we appreciate you" when most of us don't even blink an eye when a request is made...we just raise our hand and say, "I'll help." So, what a nice way to finish off a PTG year. Breakfast, caring volunteers, and a wonderful faculty and staff. May next year be just as good only with even more eager volunteers.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Dear One,
It is one of the great ironies of life that the more you give of yourself the more you have to give.

I rejoice that you have found joy in helping out at school. You have such talent with dealing with children that I know others see you as a treasured asset to the school.

Add to that that the big guy has a sense of importance and caring because of your actions.

Keep up the good work, faithful one.

Mom