Tuesday, June 2, 2009

We Need More Candles


“The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.” ~Lucille Ball

Happy Birthday, to me! I've been spoiled rotten this past weekend. I truly feel like the weekend went by with such flurry that it is nice to sit and type this knowing that the celebrations, hugs, presents, and candles have led me to this moment....I've stepped again down a path into a new age. This past one was a fantastic one. I can only hope that this one will be even better.

The days were relaxing, the kiddos played and put on light saber shows, and spending time sitting on the lanai with a glass of wine and talking to HH filled the hours of the evenings. Breakfasts were delish and HH prepared heavenly omelets on Saturday and on Sunday I splurged and made mom's French toast (my favorite sweet breakfast food). Saturday evening date night left me dizzy from enjoying and dining on sushi at the local Kaiten sushi before cuddling beside HH for an adventure into space as we enjoyed the Star Trek movie.

Sunday found us still relaxing and completing some household chores, but not any for me (I sipped coffee on the lanai). By Sunday evening upon return home from a son date to the movies (UP! was HS's request for getting an all green week...his 2nd in a row!!!), HH and LD were waiting for us with the champagne, steaks, and red beans and rice ready to be enjoyed for dinner on the lanai as the lanterns floated. Presents were lined up in beautiful flower paper beckoning for discovery.

This has been the first year that I looked at HH and wanted to beg him not to put all the candles on my cake. It has been a going evolution between us to always put the right amount of candles on the cake. However, when he announced that he needed to go buy more candles, I cringed. The candles needed on my cake are increasing exponentially. That's OK when it is for a kid's cake. Not an adults. However, by the time the cake (a delicious German Chocolate made by HH) and the torch of candles made it to me, gone was the panic of turning another year older.

After all, when HH questioned HS on really knowing my age during our dinner, HS became defensive and said, "of course, I know how how old mommy is....she's 24!!!"

Ahhhh...that's my darlin' boy! Why be scared or bummed that I'm turning another year older? There's no reason to "age." Physically, I'm doing everything I can to stay healthy and stay fit. Mentally, I'm challenging myself daily through keeping up with the kids and HH. When I'm feeling "old" I'll just have HS remind me of how old I am...may he always given me an age at least 10 years off!!! Happy Birthday, to me!

No comments: