Thursday, September 17, 2009

Jewelry Thief

Hidden inside every person is a thief of sorts. We hone these talents from an early age. If you are reading this blog, shaking your head and saying, "well! I've never been a "thief" I urge you to look deeper at yourself. We've all taken a trinket, a picture, or food because, well, it is in our blood. I'm not implying we are all destined for jail. Sometimes our thievery brings two closer together on a closer level and discoveries are made.

"Where's the flashlight?" HH hollers from the kitchen.
"Well, it was in the closet with the emergency supplies, hon" I reply.
"No it's not...." HS says meekly.
"Where is it?" I inquire.
"Under my bed. I didn't think you were using it anymore." he simply states.

This same conversation could be with pens, book lights, books, coins, paper, really anything that just seems to be lying in wait for little fingers to pluck them from their dusty demise. HS now has a partner in crime. LD.

The magic closet became awfully quiet while I was cooking dinner. I peered inside expecting LD's glowing face to look up at me over her Little People barn. Nope. No little head. Not even a trace of her. I called out for her and above my head heard the sound of pattering little feet going across our bedroom floor, followed by a little squeal. I slowly made my way up the stairs, fully expecting the two of them to be in our bedroom playing with the pillows or making a fort.

My eyes did not see that...instead, upon entering the room, LD came bounding across the floor towards me decked out head to wrists in my jewelry. Not just any jewelry, but the ones that are hidden in the recesses of my jewelry cabinet reserved for special occasions. She has clearly discovered the hidden treasures in my closet. She gleefully looked up at me, giggled, and then ran straight into the closet and peered into the drawers of my jewelry box pulling out strands of pearls, earrings, and bracelets. She is a girlie girl.

I've now had a glimpse at what will happen when she hits her teenage years. HH walked in as I was trying to get the bracelets and necklaces from her clutched chubby hands, and said, "oh, Lord...the thievery has begun! Guard your shoes, darlin' she'll be taking those, too when she's older." Yep. I can only be so lucky that when she is in her teenage years that I can enjoy her rustling through the jewelry on a quest for the perfect accent piece to her outfit...after all, I'm a jewelry lover, too. It's our destiny.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Dear One,

While you were on a search mission, did you find dad's little flashlight? There are many worse sins that taking a flashlight so you can read books under the covers far into the night!
(There were times we checked on you before we went to bed and were alerted by a similar behavior by the glow under your blankets!)

...remember when I told you you would get "payback"? By the way, hold on to sweaters, shoes, and whatever else the princess wants... Something tells me that she will be as hard to deny as you were!

Love always and forever!

Mom