Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Card Holder

Libraries are community treasure chests, loaded with a wealth of information available to everyone equally, and the key to that treasure chest is the library card. I have found the most valuable thing in my wallet is my library card.
~First Lady Laura Bush




I remember how special I felt walking into a new library once our boxes had been upacked. I remember how wonderful it felt to walk up to the Librarian and announce that I was here to register for my library card. Funny how moments that meant so much to us become pillars for our own children. HS has enjoyed visiting the library since he was only crawling among the bookcases full of pages that for him, he just loved pointing to pictures and making sounds or drooling on them. As he grew, crawling became wandering the endless supply of books that all held new treasures inside. Laden with books he had selected for that week, we would head back to the house to enjoy his bounty. The following week, we would head back and participate in the ritual all over again. Just as I had done when I was his age. A time honored tradition has now occured in his childhood and will be forever etched in his memory.

As we walked up to the librarian at our local library, HS was grinning. He knew that today was the day that I had deemed him old enough and responsible enough to own his very own card. "Keys to the kingdom of books" as I explained to him one night on how it was that libraries came to be. This was his special day. He filled out his form and handed it over to the waiting hand of the librarian. Within a few moments, it was official. He was given his very own card that now gives him the ability to check books out in his name. Although the weight of the new responsiblity is great,

it is obvious that he is thrilled at the prospects of diving into the world of reading with the use of his own card.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Dear One,

Somehow this one got past me! I too recall MY excitement over getting a library card. It was always a passport to a grand new world of adventure for me.

Hey, has the little guy read the cow dog series? Someone at Bible study yesterday has a young reader like him who reads them voraciously. Seems like I got one on the trip this summer. What's the buzz?

Keep reading, my big guy. It will hold you up for miles of your life!

Love,
Mom/Grandma