I must admit my delay in transitioning her. HS was by her age already sleeping on a twin bed. He was not, however, a Prince and a Pea sort of guy. LD, in contrast, is the Princess and the Pea of our day and age. She has always been attached to her crib to sleep in. She prefers it to everywhere else (minus those many, many, MANY hours spent sleeping with her while she was an infant) forget about the car (she'll scream her way home to her secure confines first), don't even think of the stroller (seriously, those bumps that you don't even know exist are felt on her tiny bum), and falling asleep on the sofa just won't do (why in the world would she do that when she's got all her creature comforts upstairs?).
When HH announced that it was time, I panicked. Honest to goodness, pure panic.
"What about her naps?!? She'll become the world's worst demon without her sleep! Let's wait just a bit longer..." I begged. "No." replied my ever calm husband.
"Goodness, I just think she may feel like she's being swallowed by the rail...look at all the room she still has left..." I said as I flung myself over the rail and pointed to the teeny bit of space still left near her feet. "No." replied my slightly perturbed husband.
"You know she just may get out of her room and go roaming the house at night...you know easily her cute tubby fingers can open anything...how are we going to stop that?" I said as I flung my hands on my hips in retaliation to his ever constant shake of the head and classic stare boar into me and said what words could not express..."really, who-are-you-kidding?"
In the end, I knew that HH was right. It was time to jump in and make the switch. Never mind she may be up at odd hours of night, poo-poo her afternoon nap, and resemble Medusa by the end of the first week of her new sleeping arrangement. LD couldn't have proven me more wrong.
Although she looked at her crib a little funny at first, she quickly popped her pacie out from her mouth and exclaimed with twinkles in her blue eyes, "my BED! Look! MY bed!!!" HH peered over at me. I of course was tearing up as I watched her admire her "new" place in which to dream sweet dreams.
She couldn't quite decide how to get into bed, but once we showed her to crawl through the opening, she quickly jumped in, snuggled in amongst her many blankets and beloved Pooh Bear and then let out a heavy sigh. Indeed signifying her acceptance and approval of the change.
Special Note: You may be wondering if she has morphed into Medusa from lack of sleep. She has had no problem thus far making the transition. She has also not roamed the house needlessly or failed to snore during nap time as she keeps Pooh in a death grasp.
No comments:
Post a Comment