Friday, March 18, 2016

14!

HS
age 9 months

Happy 14th Birthday to our 1st born.
It is unbelievable how quickly the years are going.  Each day brings about new discussions, completing tasks, and trying to enjoy as much of life living with a teenager as we can.  He's a pretty amazing kid.  Seriously.  And of course I'm not biased. At All.

In honor of turning 14...here's 14 character traits that I adore about HS.

1.  Old Soul
It's Ok to not fit the traditional image of goofy teen.
You see the world through an old soul in a young body.  Others will eventually admire that trait.  Believe me.

2.  Believer
God is at the center of your being.
Everything you do you do in relation to your Faith.
Altar serving is still cool.  That brings joy to my heart.

3.  Family is Important
When many are turning away from thinking it is "cool" to hang out with their parents, you still find it important to "chill" watching your favorite show with us.  You still take the time to talk with family on the phone and don't give us the, "really...I've got better things to do."

4.  Gifted
Such a cliche' word but you are amazingly gifted in your abilities to complete projects, focus on studying, and juggle your routine.

5.  Trustworthy
I've loved seeing you begin to find your own place in gaining trust from others.  You have it from your parents, but to gain trust from other adults is wonderful to see.

6.  Thrifty
Along with gaining trust comes being hired for jobs.  You are definitely cut from the same cloth as your pop-pop.  Spending what you earn is not an easy feat for you.  That savings account balance clearly demonstrates that.

7.  Witty
Often times the best people know when to use wit.  You are a serious little cookie, but man, you know exactly when we need a little break from all the seriousness.  I love your dry sense of humor.

8.  Adventurous
Thank you for taking life's outings in stride.   Since you were just an infant you have been ready, willing, and eager to explore with me.  I thank you for that trait.  Being willing to go where you've never been and think of the positive will get you through a lot of life's curveballs.

9.  Determined
Speaking of life  and the curveballs.  Holy cow.  You are one determined fella.  You set your mind on something and you do what you set out to do.
Told a teacher rarely gives an A in a class...you'll do it.
Told you can't advance at the pace you want in Scouting...you will because you have your timeline and it doesn't have to be the same as the boy next to you.
Told you can't share your beliefs...you'll find a way.

10.  Unique
I don't think there has ever been a day when I've seen you in a group that I don't say, God broke the mold with this one.  You have an amazing grasp of who you want to be and you don't care if it doesn't line up with what society thinks you should.  Your style and self-assuredness can be scary but when you walk out of this house in a button down, slacks, and a bow tie because, "this is what I want to wear." I have to say...kudos for having the moxie to not cave to droopy shorts and the same t-shirt.

11.  Athletic
You have been practicing karate now for 11 years.  ELEVEN.   When your sister thinks she is going on a date in her high school years, I'm sending you as her body guard.
I like that you're not just centered on one sport.  You enjoy playing football, will shoot baskets, run around the base with your dad, and then want to go lift.  I can't wait to see what you choose to do in high school.

12.  Renaissance Man
You dabble.  You enjoy anime and can tell us all about Japanese popular shows and then be describing mythology.  Sometimes you say something in Spanish and then laugh and give us a translation in Japanese.  You read all sorts of topics and certainly have a knack for keeping us ever on our toes to what your latest craze in learning will be.

13.  Stubborn
I think because you have such a strong sense of self, you don't always like to be told what to do and you don't like to feel wrong.  That goes back to a number of personality characteristics...some good.  Although I don't like to have you be stubborn, there are times when I admire your willingness to not give up on your perspective.  I don't want you to be a follower.  Lead with enough stubbornness that people know they can't push you easily off the right path.

14.  Loving
You have an amazing heart.  That's half of the reason that you are such a serious person.  You are empathetic and want to please.  When someone is hurting, you do tend to take in those emotions.  On the outside, the world might not identify that you are doing that, but trust me.  It's easy to cover when your heart is hurt because you know you caused pain to someone else.  That eats you alive.  Resist the urge to turn away from having that loving soul.  It's OK to be a great big brother, awesome son, and one day...a long, long, time from now....a loving husband.  Practice being loving and kind hearted with people you meet.


HS
age 14


There's so many facets to you.  Enrich them.  
Build upon them.  
Remain true to yourself 
and 
to what God has called you to become.  

Happy 14th!
We love you and are so very proud of you!



No comments: