My mom has a counted cross stitch that has always hung in the kitchen for as long as I can remember. It is one of those poems that hangs itself on the wall of your brain always to be remembered whenever the weather turns nice.
I Meant To Do My Work Today
by Richard LeGallienne
I meant to do my work today,
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me.
And the wind went sighing over the land,
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand,
So what could I do but laugh and go?
It is one of those poems that sticks in your head and teases and taunts as you enjoy the beauty of outside and know that inside your humble house lay piles of laundry reaching up toward the ceiling (I swear our clothes breed when I turn around), dishes that bekon to be put into the cupboards and dirty ones waiting to be clean, and of course the inevitable piles that build up around when you have one five-year-old, a graduate student studying and writing papers, and another one that doesn't have any excuse but that the organization cabability has been drained upon moving into this house.
Regardless, being outside and working with the future home of our veggies (this is the never-ending weed destroying evolution to get the soil remotely ready), watching the birds devour the birdseed that was just put into the feeder, listening to the songs of the songbirds who are finally returning to New England after the rest of the country began their spring weeks ago, laughing at the neighborhood squirells who come to eat the corn from my whirligig, enjoying picnics with one of my favorite clan guys as he chases, feeds, and enjoys the geese and ducks near Prescott Farm. All the while during these momements I just marvel that spring has indeed arrived and all the buds, blooms, and sounds are calling me.
1 comment:
How nice it was to see the fragment of one of my favorite cross stitch pieces...
You are right. When the birds are singing and the wind is calling your name, what can you do but follow?
Post a Comment