Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hau`oli Lā Hānau



I'm trying to wrap my head around something. A birthday. An age. Could it possibly be true that my darlin' baby boy is 7 today?!?! It just doesn't seem possible that seven years ago I was holding him in my arms staring into his deep blue eyes never imagining that a blink of my eyes would lead me to him being....




three and into adventures on the densha in Nippon, playing with "potty" cars (matchbox cars that you earned each time you went to the potty...boy were you trained quickly!!!) and enjoying our days together as mommy and son in a foreign land never dreaming that in another blink of my proud eyes that I would be staring at a...





five year old bundle of kindergartner energy. Karate days, playdates, and suddenly legos were the world and matchbox cars were passe. How could I ever have thought that the day would come that I now blink my eyes and that same eager little boy with his toddler chubby cheeks now look back at me with...







the proud chin and bone structure of an energetic, smart, and talented seven year old boy who still adores cuddling with his mommy while running to play a game of war with his buddies and enjoys hiking, camping, and adventuring. Who now wears a uniform (his first of many I am sure!) with pride to den meetings and recites a pledge to his country and law to his pack (a glimpse of what I am sure is to come when/if he joins the military). I refuse to blink now. I am so very proud of the bundle of joy that I held seven years ago. I don't want him to grow to quickly. Oh let me enjoy the boy that he is before I blink again. He's the glorious, the wonderful, magnificent...seven!




Hau`oli Lā Hānau, my darlin' son. I love you more today than I ever thought was possible for one heart to hold those seven years ago I first held you in my arms and felt the love only a mom could appreciate. Enjoy your special day.

3 comments:

The Yerger's said...

Aaahhhhh, time sure does fly doesn't it? You want them to grow and stand still in time. I can't stand that Savannah is over the 2 mark and starting to be so independent and Tristan is 8 pushing 35 somedays. Jack is all of 5 and a crazy bundle of energy, I love looking back at all our pictures of days gone by.

Mom said...

Dear One,

When you were little and cuddled with your dolls, you always said that you would love your children "more than anything or anyone."

When you were growing, I wished for you NOT to grow up; YOU raced ahead anyway and traded dolls and your Beary for Barbies saying "I'm going to be a teacher,NOT have babies."

As you grew older, you became a mom of a real (rather than stuffed doll or bear)baby (now big boy) of your own. While you love him more than anything and loved your mom/son adventures, you wished for him to hurry and grow.

Now, my dear one, you realize how I felt when time flew by at warp speed and you grew with the speed of a lightning strike. You have to treasure each of those unique, magical moments. There is no time to waste. Before you know it, as you now realize, you will blink, and your treasure will be a young man going out of the door...and, thankfully, will create more memories of adventures you share!

You have done a magnificent job raising him and he is everyone's treasure!

Love always and forever.

Mom said...

Dear One,

I remember ALL of these pictures...

looking for the "perfect" sakura tree under which to take the prince's picture his first day home from the hospital...

that little Japanese outfit in which he looked so absolutely adorable....

the frightened, and excited, face of a kindergartner...

the first day at karate at the base gym in Yokosuka (when he had St. Vitrius' dance wiggles)

plus the memorable days of a couple of weeks ago...

dropping him at his school where he raced ahead with delight and gusto...

watching his focus and prowess in karate class...

reading Diary of a Whimpy Kid...
hearing him proudly announce, "Hey, I CAN read a chapter book!" (I KNEW YOU COULD!)

hearing him say, "I love you all around the universe, grandma."...
Right back at you, big guy!!!!

HAPPY MAGNIFICENT SEVENTH BIRTHDAY!

Grandma