Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Afterthoughts

Three weeks. How do you sum out your thoughts on a spectacular visit back to the mainland? Living the military life is an amazing adventure but the downside is being far away from my family and friends...those who gave me the wings to fly and now stand back and watch me soar...and crash. It was the chance to spend time with family on the mainland that got me pumped up enough to step onboard and endure a seven hour plane ride even though I know that HS is an easy travel companion...it was the thought of LD wailing in my ear that scared the hell out of me. I survived and could still hear out of at least one of my ears. As I wrote in my inital arrival back to the mainland, seeing my sister crying as we walked towards her solidified my reasons for believing that it was important to see them.

It has been many years since I was last in Colorado. Growing up without a steadfast state to call home, Colorado has always been a fitting choice since it is the one place that I remember always visiting and having a blast in with my grandpa. Flying back and seeing the Rocky Mountains as we made our descent into Denver brought tears to my eyes. I love this state and the region around it. My roots may have been uprooted more times than I care to count, but it is obvious after spending time once more in the west that I am and will forever shall be a western woman.


My desire to head back to the west was also fueled by my need to see dear Aunt M and the farm. I always feel refueled and energized after spending time with my family there. The people there are some of the most dedicated, hard-working, and wonderful people I know. I love them dearly and thank each of them for providing the same sense of love that I remember growing up to HS and LD.


No comments: