In "Navy world", meeting people, making friends, and saying farewell are synonomous to breathing. We can't live in the military world without those three things happening. The announcement that a dear friend's spouse has received orders and is now beginning the process of PCS (Permanent Change of Station) can set off an emotional whirlwind for those who are closest to the departing military family. I have many friends that I love to talk with, but some leave a heavier footprint than others. So, when one of my dearest friends here announced she was PCSing and would be gone within a month's time, I had very little time to prepare. DF is a keystone of our neighborhood spirit or Queen of Catalina Lane, my new nickname for her; she inspired Aloha Fridays, Catalina coffees, girls movie nights, holiday potlucks, and the list goes on...her footprint is substantial and she will be missed.
I get misty eyed whenever I back the cat bus from the garage and see her house without the infamous "Rebel Road" sign hanging from the fence. Tears form when LD calls out "SOOONNNNNJAAAA" as we take our evening strolls and I know Sonja won't be appearing from her lanai with outstretched arms to pick up LD. Yep. The throne is empty. Her inspiration though will live in the hearts of those who knew her here. Those that will meet her at the next duty station are lucky to have such a gem coming and I can only pray that they'll let her make the same footprint on their hearts as she's left on ours.
I can write this blog freely now...we've been keeping their move a secret from her daughter and son who are on the mainland. Their Christmas this year, will be full of the magic of parental love and joy. I wish this family all the best in 2010. May fair winds and following seas surround the McClelland clan as they begin their next Navy adventure. We look forward to our military paths crossing once more. I'll be peering over the next fence waiting for your voice welcoming us to another neighborhood.
1 comment:
I LOVE YOU GUYS AND MISS YOU SO MUCH!!!! I have not had a chance to catch up.....so I went to catch up on your awesome Blog. To my surprise....I found an amazing, moving and touching Blog pertaining to me and the Mac Clan. I could not help from crying and wishing to be there once again.....my life has been quite a crazy whirl wind.... and I miss my Dearest Friend to share and have an ear to hear all the madness....... I've been going through allot on my Journey taking care of the Grand folks......This really makes me wish I could just walk over with Coffee in hand and a smile on my face......hope to chat with ya soon..
Sonja
Post a Comment