"Hello?" I spoke groggily into the phone.
"SQ, the bridge is closing at 0830. A tsunami is heading this way...y'all need to get out of the house."
My heartbeat quickened as I tried to wipe the sleep from my eyes.
Tsunami? Earthquake? Bridge closure? What in the world did I wake up to?
I hung up the phone and just as I began to shout to HH, the phone rang again. This time it was from another friend on island and her message was pretty akin to the previous one. I hung up in disbelief.
"Ummmm...honey....what's going on?" I inquired.
"There's been an earthquake in Chile...we have the potential of being hit by a tsunami. Pack a few items and let's get to higher ground."
Good grief. It's not a dream.
Pack? The moment that everyone dreads in an emergency state was happening to us. Although we knew that the threat more than likely wouldn't amount to anything, it is still the issue that you must take stock of what is truly important enough to leave the house in your hands.
So, what did I take? LD, HS, HH, our personal affairs folders, set of clothes for each family member, diapers, tooth brushes and toothpaste, laptop, external hard drive full of pictures, and one nervous kitty.
Our tsunami party was great fun. We all joked that we've wanted to get together for dinner for the past couple of months. The threat of a tsunami brought us all together for an awesome day of laughs and eating. For one clan member, the relief of being carried back into his home would find him snoring on the sofa, happy that he was a tsunami take, but relieved that he could stop foaming.
Note: Although we found out later that yes, the bridge was secured but that we were not in the evacuation zone, we are still nonetheless, glad that we have been able to prove to ourselves that in a state of emergency, we could depart this hale in less than 30 minutes. Let's just hope we won't be proving our efficiency anytime soon.
2 comments:
It was quite a day wasn't it! I waited 1.5 hours for gas! I wonder what I would take with us...
Dear One,
I have to say that for a warrior kitty to be foaming, vomiting, and taking a fear-induced potty break is a riot! His true gentle nature is revealed!!!
We were just glad that it was a false alarm and that you were all able to go home with no harm with the all-clear call!
Love,
Mom
Post a Comment