Thursday, March 25, 2010

Harmonic Sounds

Everybody should have his personal sounds to listen for - sounds that will make him exhilarated and alive or quiet and calm.
~Andre Kostelanetz


I'm waiting for HS to return home from another busy day of 2nd grade. He has more homework and projects at his age than I ever remember even having when I was in later elementary years. LD is enjoying her afternoon snooze and Kendo is enjoying his window perch overlooking the bird feeder...no doubt enraptured by the thought of hunting one. I am just sitting and relishing in the sounds of a quiet house. The fact that I am sitting here without my daily jolt of afternoon cawfee is making me also think for a minute about all the sounds that I adore right now:

~ the distinct sound of geckos "clicking" with one another from their homes in the
potted palms, ginger, and hibiscus on our lanai.
~ morning and afternoon visits from the cardinals who frequent our feeder.
~ giggles from LD when I "tickle bug" her belly.
~ the sound of happy boys playing in the garage.
~ HH's heartbeat when I snuggle up in the evenings to watch a movie.
~ the lull of Kendo's purr early in the mornings ensuring that I will hit the snooze
button at least three times.
~ birds singing and chirping as they fly in the Hawaiian skies and stop for a snack at our feeder.
~ the distinct gong of our New England windchime as the tradewinds blow through the
lanai reminding me of all I love of New England; especially the harbor bells.
~ the gurgle of my cawfee maker letting me know that my afternoon can begin.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Dear One,

You made me think of my favorite sounds...in no particular order...

* the sound of a chipmunk "cheeping" on the deck as he revels in the taste of seeds
* the call of our cardinals signaling that deer and chipmunks have eaten all the seed in the bird feeder
* the sound of Jake's purr... loud or soft depending on his mood
* the magical voice of our new choir director as he leads us through the service
* the soft pitter-pat of rain falling on the deck signaling the coming of spring
* the call of robin redbreasts who have returned to the valley
* ditto the sound of coffee making me have enough energy to move
* the pounding rhythm of Zumba against which I simply cannot fail to move
* Best of all? the sound of my children and grandchildren's voices which make my heart sing like angel's voives

Blissings to all..