Exams have never been one of my strongest areas. Especially when it came to school testing and those that required a great deal of memorization using coordination. I'm not that coordinated so thankfully, HS did not inherit my sports phobia and uncanny skill ability. This weekend, he tested for 3rd kyu in karate along with HH.
He went into the exam with a pensive and reserved demeanor, a huge dose of self-confidence and his own personal silent cheering squad (me, PopPop & Granma). He left his shoes outside the dojo and bowed with respect as he stepped over the threshold. He looked over at us, waved briefly, and then went into his exam induced trance. For the next hour and half, he was in his element and we were all merely shadows during his kata and sparring. I am proud of HS and HH. I am even more thrilled when I can make it through the exam without fainting from holding my breath as they go through the initial phases of the exam. Even with one small hiccup in his kata, HS kept his focus and did not stop and gloat because he knew that the "outstanding in kata" had now slipped through his fingers. Instead, he rocked the rest of the kata and then gave it his all during the sparring portion.
My favorite moments from this exam:
1. Seeing the pride in my parents' faces as they watched their grandson go through a rather rigorous exam.
2. Watching HS' determination during sparring. I would not want to have to face the "mean" face he puts on when he's really going for the strike.
3. Enjoying the look on HS's face as he free sparred with a black belt sensei who is Yoda only in giant form. Priceless.
4. Loving that HH squeezes in karate because he knows to take advantage of family time. Even if that means your son is punching, kicking, or blocking your movements.
No comments:
Post a Comment