Monday, May 16, 2011

Warning: Wizards at Work

Waking up on the weekends is typically met with lots of noise in our house.  Some weekends, it is LD chatting loudly with Ms. Kitty, Mr. Moose, Pooh, and Sheep: the lovey's that surround her while she dreams sweet dreams and then keep her immersed in conversation when she awakes.  Other weekends, it is the sound of HS hustling down the stairs in hopes of reaching the remote before LD does (watching My Little Pony for the thousandth time isn't really high on his list of "must do's").  Finally, my favorite (insert my menacing laughter here) is the sound of the arguing or seeing who can shush the other the loudest:

"Shhhhhh...it's not 7 yet.  We've got to be quiet sis." 
A brief pause. 
"No."
 Another pause. 
"Seriously.  SHHHH!  We're going to wake her!" (like I'm some kind of predator who will devour them). 
A millisecond pause. 
"NOOOOO!!!"
 A blink of a pause and both are once again "Shhushing."
"Come on...I'll watch your show if you stop crying."
"OTay."

 So much for beauty sleep.

Sometimes though, they surprise the heck out of us.  Like this weekend. 
It was as silent as a tomb. 
As I rubbed my eyes and looked at the clock that read "7:30" I had that moment of pure panic. 
The sound of silence is extraordinary.  It rarely happens.
Something must be wrong.

I peered down the hallway to find their door wide open. 
OK.  Doors are open which means they are somewhere.
Then I heard them.

HS and LD enjoying his
Wizard experiments.
"Look...you say abra...then I'll  say cadabra. Ready..."
"Ava."
"No...abra."
"A bra."
Sucking of air from HS.
"Oh, whatever.  Abra...ca...dabra!"
Silence.
"Look!  It worked! It worked!!!"
"WOW!!!  It big bubble!"
"It is!  Look...now I can make that disappear with the potion!"
"That's cooool!" 
"Let's move on to the next potion."
Oh good grief.  What are they doing?
I rushed down the stairs ready to descend upon my prey.

As I glanced down, I saw them. 
Sitting so nicely. 
Together.
Smiling.
Happy.

Some days, like today, I'm so grateful of the age difference of our kids. 
HS took LD under his wizarding cape and had a fine Wizard's apprentice this morning. 

No shushing necessary.

No comments: