![]() |
| Mighty Mo as we saw her during our DF's promotion party on the barge. April 2011 |
Of course, it was one of those gushy romantic songs that dives into "girl messes up, guy walks out, girl wakes up, no guy anymore" kinda songs. I loved it. My friends must have liked it, too, because we sang it like we were on an imaginary stage somewhere. We'd dance and prance around like we were being transformed into little Cher's, possessing her spirit, her fit body, and the guys staring at us like we were something.
Funny. Now I can pick out a few of the verses and apply it to something totally different then messing up with a guy and trying to get him back. Now what in the world do these two things have in common? A battleship and a song? Well, my brain works like this:
Enter myself as a teenage walking hormonal girl and my wonderful mom (the Mighty Mom of my world). I may look like I'm a goody two shoes, but man, I gave my mom a run for her money when I was 13. If you looked up girl teenager, you'd probably see a picture of me..and underneath would be antonyms. My Mighty Mom would be listed. I so wish that weren't the case, now, but from about 13-15, I thought I was queen bee with a capital "B" and the only one who took the brunt of that was the woman I most admired, even then.
I was sweet as honey to everyone. I wanted to please everyone. Except my mom. To everyone I showed my happy, talkative, non-confrontational, devoted to my Faith, and love of family and friends side. Except to my mom.
I'm lucky she didn't boot kick me to the curb. I was evil to her. Back then, I didn't realize what a putz I was being. I wish I wouldn't have been the one to challenge everything she said to me. To her face, I spoke back. When I was away from her, I did just about everything the way that she and my Papa had brought me up to do. (So, get out of your mind that I was a ravaged lunatic). Many times, I will feel the embarrassment over things I said or did to her. Now that I'm a mom, I see how deep you feel for your kids and how things they say can get under your skin. Thankfully, I have a very forgiving, very loving, and amazing woman to call "mom."
Scullery Queen and Magnificent Mom admiring the USS Arizona from Ford Island in December 2010
If I could turn back time
Instead of hurting you...
I would say to you
One day I will rejoice because I know you.
I will remember the days we snuggled on the sofa and chatted about school, boys, and dreams.
I will love the times that we baked and would treasure the baking moments with my kids.
I will marvel at how supportive you were of all that LS (Lovely Sister), Papa, and I did. You never missed anything. I never knew how hard it would be to be "elasti-mom" until I've now been pulled in multiple directions and so far...I haven't missed any performances, special outings, or just chat times. Pray that I can somehow hold that together. You made it look easy.
I will embrace camping and hiking because it gives us time to enjoy life without all the distractions. I was taught that by watching the best at living that out: you, papa, and Grandpa.
I will always despise the hormonal changes we all must go through to "grow-up" because it made me lash out at the one person who was my biggest advocate. They didn't do much for my complexion, either.
I will love that we developed a best friend triangle: you, LS, and me. I let others in, but I know that you will always be there when I need you. You've been the rock stuck in my ever changing sea.
Forsake not your mother’s teaching. Bind them on your heart always; tie them around your neck. When you walk, they will lead you; when you lie down, they will watch over you;
and when you awake, they will talk with you.
~ Proverbs 6:20-22


2 comments:
Dearest One,
Now that I have checked the blog and wiped the tears from my eyes, there are some things to say...
I would not change a moment of the “challenging” years for they were also among the most treasured...
...you going off to have a picnic with the dead people at the cemetery up the road because, “they were probably lonely and would like someone to talk to....”
...you standing up to the elders of the church to be a reader once you were confirmed because, “I’m a member of the family of God now too!!!” you were, are, and read beautifully...
...you as the lion in the Wizard of Oz or in show choir, holding hands with Todder (under your acolyte robes :-) , your sense of drama, joy, life, compassion...
...you as a member of the flag corps, twirling your mightiest during Cheyenne Frontier Days and singing in state competitions
... you as the general’s daughter during the house tour of quarters 8 telling the visitors, “...and this is where the general kept his awards and gifts, and, let me tell you, my dad gets a lot of crap like that!” (Where was the rug when I needed to crawl under it?)
... our skiing getaways... white outs on the mountain, fun on the lifts (yes, I always managed to ride with the best lookin’ of the guys!), conversation about EVERYTHING...
Were there “shadows” in our teen years together? Oh, yes, they were there, but I cannot recall them... they are overshadowed by the shining light of love and care and pride.
God may have given you me, but he also gave me you. It’s a pretty wise God we serve; may he continue to shower you with blessings,
Love always and forever,
Mom
Now I'm a blubbering mess!
Love you.
xxooxxoo
Post a Comment