Saturday, May 25, 2013

Steppin' Up

I feel like someone just woke me up from a five year forced sleep.  I call it forced sleep because there is NO way that I would ever want to sleep and miss out on my family.

Instead of awaking to the sound of HS chatting about what happened in kindergarten and how much he enjoyed his PB&J for lunch, I blink and then blink again trying to figure out just how that little boy who came up to my waist is currently staring into my eyes...eyeball to eyeball.  No longer peering upward.  Enter the world of HS peering straightforward.

What?  That's just crazy talk! 

 I realize at this moment that I can't figure out just how my tiny snugly LD, my little baby girl, is standing before my HS and I as I prepare his ham & cheese sandwich (his now favorite after announcing that 5th graders do not bring PB&J for lunch *tear*) and she is swaying as she sings her "farewell to preschool" songs.

 What? "Farewell?"  When did she even begin?

 My eyes fight back tears as I realize that no...I haven't woken up from a forced sleep.  I've been with both of them every minute.  It's just that time marches on.  Regardless if you want it to stop.  Time is oblivious to the desires of mothers everywhere who want to remember the precious childhood moments.  Time knows one way of motion...fast.  I've been here with them.   It's just a blur of moments.  Cling.  Cling hard.  I'm not letting time take the moments too quickly!

For the past three weeks, we have been hearing her practice, been her audience as she stood and practiced, listened to her retell her morning of "kindergartner for a day" and how excited she is, but how it is going to be "serious business. *sigh* if only life were equivalent to our days as a kindergartner...

I find myself being gently led by HH to sit down in a tiny chair that appears that a hobbit will appear at any moment.  If only she could stay the size of a hobbit.  Please.  Please time.  Hear my request.  A red carpet stretches creating an aisle fit for only those gearing up to step up.

Can I reach out and grab her before she heads down towards the director of the preschool?  No one would notice right?  I could have her home quick as lightening sitting with me on the carpet playing with her kitchen and creating an imaginary meal fit for a queen.


LD emerges from her classroom with her fellow classmates.  Some are cramming their tiny necks to find their parents.  Others shy toward the wall as they try not to make contact with the audience.  LD.  My little blessing.  She stands facing HH & I blowing kisses our way as only she can.  My heart sings.

Mwah!  Right back at you!  I know how much you love feeding and chasing the ducks at the pond.  How about we go...now.  Just you and me.  You don't need to Step Up today.  Time will wait...I'm begging Father Time.

Their songs are adorable.  Eyes are bright and smiles are stretching as long as the Mighty Mississippi.  They relish in the applause.  They take in the proud faces of their parents and teachers.  This is the moment.  Farewell preschool.  It's been wonderful.  Hello, kindergarten!  We are ready to step up with excitement.  LD's name is called.  She hesitates a moment as she looks down at the red pathway.  Time.  It's marching.  There is no waiting.  Time.  Time to begin the educational pathway.  She begins walking and then turns to HH & me as if asking is this what I am suppose to do?





There will never be a day that I don't wish we could still have you little, snugly, and clinging to your family.  God didn't make you to be that way forever.  He gave you to us to guide, love, and bear witness to the amazing young lady He is calling you to become.    Time.  Please.  Give this mamma a few moments that are slowed down and a little less blurry.

I do what any mom would do as she waits looking towards us.
        I give her two thumbs up,
           say a silent prayer of protection for her,
               blow her a kiss...
                        and begin clapping.



First Day of Preschool
August 2012
Last Day of Preschool
May 2013



As you grow...
May you continue to become the very special person God wants you to be.
May you always remember that God loves you.
May you always show God's love and kindness to others.
~Amen






No comments: