Monday, September 22, 2008

How do you spell YUMMY?


For HS and I you spell yummy "M....A...L...A...S...A...D...A...S" especially when you pull into the NEX compound and you smell the familiar freshly baked sugared little treats that are sold out of a brightly colored red and white wagon. This can only mean that Leonard Jr.'s is on the scene. For a mere .90 we can step into heaven for a second or two and savor the bites of our malasada (mine is gone in 4 bites...HS is a speedster smacking his lips after 2).

If you are on a diet or trying to loose some weight forget it for a minute so that you can savor the delicious taste of malasadas filled with haupia (coconut) handed to you by a delightful local who somehow avoids eating all the Leonard Jr.'s Malasadas during their shift (I'm not so sure I would be as disciplined).

"Before I destroy my girlish figure (or boyish figure) on these things what are they?" You may be wondering. Well, I may not be able to get all the portugese influenced food like I could while we lived in Rhode Island, but here on Island, I can find the Portuguese influence in malasadas. A form of a doughnut. Malasadas (Mel-a-sa-dish) were brought to Hawaii from the Azores around 1847, when Portuguese laborers came to work on the plantations. Thankful I am that they did, because these heavenly tasty deep fried balls are crispy and golden brown on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. You can get them many ways, but the traditional is with just a sugared concoction. HS and I are partial to the coconut filled malasada.

What a great way to spend quality time...taking in the smells and tastes of Leonard Jr.'s yummy malasada! Our kine of good stuff, Maynard! Now back to my girlish figure watchin' until next time the wagon makes its rounds.

Leonard Jr.'s has a great website that will make you craving these little pockets of yummy at www.leonardshawaii.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can we get malasadas to go? How about by the dozen for a road trip treat? In there a way to get them off of Oahu...like when we go to the big island....?

You gotta love a taste of the city ...no matter where that city happens to be! How lucky you are to have such adventures in life and gastronomic realms!

Food is the music of life...let it play on ...
in moderation, of course!

Mom