Ahhh...how good it feels to sit in a dojo and watch your six year old son shout out the loudest and most ferious "kiai!" of all the other students or spar with someone twice his size and not be afraid. Senpai looked at HS today and gave him two thumbs up as he shouted and then proceeded to go through his forms with a vicious energy that I wouldn't want to see played out anywhere but in the dojo or a tournament. I'm not quite sure where he gets this pent up switch from seemingly carefree happy-go-lucky kid to the aggressor. But, he has it and my does it serve him well in the dojo!
I'm glad that he has been able to be so focused on a sport that HH and I knew virtually nothing about. We've tried to see if he would like to go participate in the more common sports, but we can't seem to pull him away. Guess that's a good thing because the focus, dedication, and memory that is needed to due a martial arts doesn't do well when you flit from thing to thing. HS just about squeeze hugged me when I finally had success in finding the right dojo. It took us a while to find here, but we've been really happy with the traditional aspects of Japan International Karate-Ki Center . Sensei doesn't fool around and already we have seen a drastic improvement in HS's ability.
You'll see that he is no longer wearing his green belt. The style of Karate is different thus making him begin anew. He wasn't too thrilled at the beginning, but after a couple of classes and a chat with another one of the Senpai (assistant instructors), HS is now on the way to achieve his exam in December.
Yes, it's true. I never saw myself as a "karate mom" but oh my is the title ever starting to sink in as I watch him dedicate himself to a sport that challenges him to center his concentration, focuses him on gaining achievement, and fosters a love of doing something because if feels right. OSU!
1 comment:
If you are a karate mom, that makes me a vicarious karate grandma! Look at the form and determination on the little guy's face.
I would NOT like to meet up with him if he were in the mood or needed to respond with a real, rather than stylized, confrontation.
Both PopPop and I are delighted that you have found him a new dojo (sp) and sensei of merit! HS is going to go far in his chosen sport! We are very proud of his progress thus far and look forward to going with him to class in January and February!
You go, little man!
Grandma H.
Post a Comment