Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Rustle Awakens


The rustle of wind
plays on the fine tufts of wheat.
Swirling and dancing as if on feet.


Canyons so deep
just make me want to move.
Hiking and exploring gets me into a groove.

A Favorite View


Silence surrounds me
like a treasured blanket.
Birds, sheep, and horses fill my
ears with conversation like food at at banquet.








The Forever Sentinel

The old windmill turns
as if a sentinel on watch.
I never tire of inhalling the age of  the old red barn
full of rope, saddles, tackle, buckets, and cloth.










Taking LD for a Ride
Laughter nudges the leaves
as wild turkey rest.
We ride upon tractors,
four wheelers, combines, and sheep;
those experiences build our own comfey nest.










Dinner on the Farm
Traditions and baking
passed down through generations.
A kitchen table that has enjoyed and expanded
with all the musings of a family full of conversations.







Western Nebraska
Sunset
Sunsets on the Nebraska prairie
fill my mind.
 Loving the divine nature of God's
signed handiwork defined.

The memories flow
forth like fine wine.
Time with my family on that special farm
in the middle of a prairie,
surrounded by nature,
devoid of the hustle of city life;
always makes me shine.



Note:  I have been tuning into a blog, Mama Kat's, that gives blog writing prompts.  At a specified time, you can choose to "post" your blog that is in response to her writing prompts. 

I don't write my blog for an increase of numbers, but I do write it for those who I treasure. That may be why my list of devoted readers is so small.  Regardless, often, I am inspired by her prompts, but fail to write on them.  This week, I didn't want the inspiration to fade.  So I acted upon the promt: write a poem on something you are looking forward to."  Well.  I'm going to be on this rock for quite a little while longer.  However, I'm coming home.  I must.  I miss you all so much.  The Navy has given us a "home" but my heart is full of moments that were created by others.


Enjoying the Farm 2009
To my dear Aunt Mary, you are the grandmother God did not allow me to have.  She would be so proud of how you took me under your wing and showed me all the treasures that exist away from cities.  I always long for my time on the farm.  I always have.  Now, my children are just as eager as I once was to enjoy the life of the farm, the wonder of the people who have kept it going as Uncle Howard would have wanted, and the sounds of the farm that always call for us to come "home".   I hope to see you this summer.  I will pray that we can once again enjoy the sheep, the tractors, the "help" that we provide (or sometimes make more work after we've assisted), the cooking, the chickens, the muttun' bustin', and the homemade NOODLES!  Yes, I'm looking forward to a farm visit with the kids.  Our tank is almost empty here.  It is time to be rejuvinated.

No comments: