Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Inhale

I was caught midway between having my bottom finally sitting down for a moment to play a nasty game of catch-up on this blog and making a fresh pot of cawfee to help brush the cobwebs from my brain when the doorbell rang. 

To my English heart's joy, there stood the UPS man holding two packages for me.  One held a rather large batch of photos that I had finally been able to get around to ordering (what is it with my obvious lack of keeping on top of my life?) and the other package held treasures from Amazon.  I couldn't wait to rip off the package tape on this box and grab a hold of the contents and inhale. 

In this day of technology crazed people who just can't seem to get enough of the latest i-phone, laptop, or kindle I stand in stark contrast.  My pink phone purchased 5 years ago barely keeps a charge let alone has the capability to text (I am way to ADHD to plink in letter after letter on my numerical keypad) and typically it is turned completely off and far away from the recesses of my purse.  No wonder I don't get many calls on it anymore.  Our laptop is an oldy but goody that HH purchased shortly before LD was born.  So *sigh* it is almost 4 years old.  A veritable dinosaur compared to the new fangled ones being sold at the NEX.  I do own a Sony Reader, but I am honest enough to write that most books on it have been free to download and the few that I've purchased I can count on two fingers. I also hate to admit *please don't read this HH* that I have barely used it since he gave it to me as a Christmas gift in 2010.  Poor thing sat deep in a drawer with no battery power for about four months after I read The Help.  I did pull it out recently, recharge it, and begin reading another book, but I just do not get that same inspiration to keep picking it up like I do a printed book.

So, it seems that I may just be one of the few remaining people on Earth who would so rather curl up and inhale the cozy scent of paper than feel the coldness and strain of reading from a reader.  I love the warmth and comfort a good book can bring. I love to inhale the smell of new books and I love the tickle that the dust from old yellow beloved pages of older books brings to my nose. 

Forget the cawfee.  I know where my bottom end is looking to sit... in the wingback chair downstairs as the afternoon sun fills the area with the warm orange glow of a Hawai'ian sunset as I open one of these books and hear the familiar crack of a new binding waiting to be opened and the pages eagerly awaiting the turn to the next page as I digest each word.

Inhale. 

3 comments:

Sarah Oldham said...

Did you read The Night Circus yet? What did you think? I've been looking at it and looking at it (to buy or borrow to read) since Amazon featured it. . . . I like my Kindle, but like you, it isn't the same kind of pleasure as reading from a real book.

Eriu said...

I could almost smell the paper with you - the only thing better than new book smell is old book smell, something those kobos/tablets will never be able to replicate!!!

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much said...

The Night Circus is a phenomenal read. I couldn't put it down and read late into the eve. The imagery is amazing and will keep you turning the page as you feel yourself step into the book and wander the circus grounds...you are more than welcome to borrow it ;)