Saturday, May 10, 2014

Devote

LD proudly holding up her sign
after her class performance at
the school wide assembly
"Momma!  Guess what?  We get to do a performance for the trait of the month in front of the whole school!"

"You mean you are singing?"

"Nooooo...I'm performing!"

"Ok, darlin'.  Do you have something special to work on?  A song?  A dance?"

"Noooooo...it's important...I speak!"

Clearing of little throat...and then my littlest blessing proceeded to twirl herself around the kitchen island as she sang out...

"Devote yourself to The Lord!"  that's my line. It's a special, very, very special line!

So, for a week and a half, HS and I sat every day pretending to be her audience as she practiced for her performance.  The two seconds of fame that every little girl dreams about.  She practiced her facial expressions, she practiced what level of voice to use, how to add the right stage presence.

The day of her big debut was at hand.  I sat with all the other proud and glowing kindergarten parents, craning my neck to see each facial expression as she waited patiently to go up on stage.  Her big brother sat with all his 6th grade pals and you could see his pride as she walked onto stage....

As they began their performance, there wasn't even a sign that she may be a little nervous, tentative, or have a bout of stage fright.  She held out her laminated D and spoke with her little smurfette voice...

Devote YOURSELF to The LORD.

Then, she waved.  Yes.  She waved...the tiniest wave over in my direction with a grin from ear to ear.  So it begins.  A proud momma awaiting that clear sign that "mom...I've got this.  I'm fine."


No comments: