Machida Tenmangu Shrine becomes a treasure trove of antiquities, obis, kimonos, and everything in between one day each month. Every tour we've lived here I have enjoyed the hunt for the perfect treasure. We pile into cars loaded with caffeine seeking gals who are ready to spend the morning away from the house and the chores. It's that time that gives you an adrenaline rush as you wander the temple grounds chatting and searching for the items that scream, "I've lived overseas and came back with some pretty cool momentos."
This month, instead of a car full of chatty ladies, I did something highly unexpected.
I invited the kids to enjoy the treasure hunt. *gasp*
It's amazing what the hunt became as we wandered the tightly packed temple. I passed just about all of the kimonos and obis. Kokeshi? Who needs 'em. My eyes were opened to the world of strange locks, pottery shards turned into jewelry, tiny bronze gods, and bins of Ultraman.
Next time you want a shopping thrill, take the kiddos.
They'll open your eyes to a whole new world of treasures.
Adventure Note: Machida Tenmangu Shrine has its shrine sale event the 1st of every month except for certain months (January being one of those months). It's an easy 1 hour drive from base and fairly inexpensive in tolls. The vendors are literally packed into the shrine grounds so not stroller friendly.



No comments:
Post a Comment