Today it was a box from Grandma and Popop. The kids' eyes got wide as HH brought the box to the table. What could be in there? A bike? A power ranger? Rattles for LD? Clothes to make us look oh so stylish? You could almost see those wheels a turnin' as they tried to process what could be in the box. Honestly, you would think they were poor lost kiddos without a toy in the world as they watched entranced with each motion we took to open the box. In those moments, time was standing still.
"Hurry, I bet it is my fish!" said HS (he is on a kick to get pet fish...we keep reminding him that we just got moved in...the pet menagerie will have to wait).
"AGGGAGGGAAAAABABBAT" said LD. (Translation: I bet it's food!!! or I get something too big brother!).
The tape was finally free and the lid was opened. HS peered inside.
"Oh, BOY! Books!!! Clothes!!! Transformer!!! Kinetix!!! Ummm...errr...a doll?!?" Items from the mystical box were being poured out quickly until HS's eyes fell upon the happy faced doll.
"Why do I need this?!? I don't like dolls." he says through clentched teeth looking at us like we would have dared Granma to send him a doll as a joke.
"You do have a sister you know" says my HH as he quickly snatched the doll into the waiting grip of LD.
HS must not understand doll quality. LD on the other hand adores the doll. She quickly made friends within in instant and giggled, cooed, and conversed until nap time with her soul buddy.
HS dove into reading his books and all was great with the world. Every now and then we could hear him exclaim, "I really feel loved. They must miss us. I bet they're coming to see us soon...that's why I need to practice reading..that way I can put them to bed!"
Mail. Marvelous and magical mail. Until the next box from the mainland arrives, it looks like my kids are pretty thrilled that all their wondering about what was in that box proved to be better than anything they could have dreamed. Thanks Granma!
1 comment:
Dear Ones,
Truly, it was MY pleasure!
Mom
Post a Comment