Friday, August 8, 2008

Pencils, Paper, and Peanut Butter and Jelly


Ah, the smell of freshly sharpened pencils and crisp new paper just yearning to be written on while piles of new school clothes and shoes fill up the closet. It's that time of year again: HS has returned once again to school. Only this time, instead of me balling my eyes out while watching him enter a school as a new timid kindergartner, I found myself crying as I watched him walk down the hall toward his classroom as a confident 1st grader who had a little fear in his eyes as he prepared to embrace a new teacher, friends, and school.

Walking back to the cat bus I prepared to busy myself with chores and distractions that I used as ploys to cover up the emotions that always find themselves within my head as I deal with my little guy growing up. As the clock ticked closer to dismissal, I began to crave his chatter and excitement of the tales of 1st grade. He did not disappoint. As we pulled up to get him he gave us a huge wave, smiled from ear to ear, and bounded toward the car with a teacher holding his hand. Each day he has been the same. Now, as the ticking of the clock edges us closer to 2:15, I find myself wondering what he'll share since so far he has been a riot to listen to:

1. "Mommy, the kindergarteners are really tiny. No wonder I'm a 1st grader. I'm to tall."
2. "Do you know that I can be called my real name?!?! I'm the only one with my name!"
3. "Mrs. Brown says hot lunch begins tomorrow. I told her I'd rather have peanut butter and jelly."
4. "We have afterschool care at my new school. I'm not going am I?!?! I'd rather come home." (last year he thought it would be fun to be like some of the kids and stay at school until he had to stay once...then he didn't want to go back).
5. "Yeah we do the pledge of allegiance. We also sing some kinda song that is in a different language. I'm not sure why..."
6. "I'm going to be good because if I am I get to get an M&M out of a car!"
7. "Remember to wave at me when you see me!"
8 "Geesh...you sure did keep me waiting!" (I was the fourth car in the pick-up line!)
9. "My teacher is really organized! I'm not sure how she got that way!"
10. "Mommy, aren't you glad I'm back? You must have been lonely."

Yes it's true. It's official. HS is a 1st grader and yes, he's right, I'm lonely. Not in the sense that I have nothing to do, but those times that we get to spend with him are precious ones. It's time to watch him enjoy the nuances of school, craving peanut butter and jelly for lunch, and loving his new teacher's cool gadgets.

My little man may be getting older, but the sound of his happiness and tales of his adventures that fill the cat bus in the afternoons will continue to make my heart sing and his wave and smile that greets me when I am pulling up to the school will forever be etched in my mind.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Wow...

I remember the terrified face of the kindergarten student who went off to slay (be slain by) educational demons. Now, there he stands tall and confident...full of newly honed skills in phonics (great to have a mom who works with you!) and math (ditto) and handwriting.

It is still great, however, to know that mom's lunch is still preferable and that seeing someone who loves you is still important at the end of the day. Every mom who has been blessed with the ability to be home with her children treasures in her heart those first moments after their angel babe burst through the door with cries of "Mommmmmm, I'm home...!" (Of course, you are...I've watched you walk down the road!...) What followed was always delightful...catching up on all the school gossip...news of friends...what was learned new that day... savoring the daily growth of a treasured child...growth sometimes not always smooth..."You got a red mark? check? yellow slip? What are YOU going to do to make that better?"

In the words of a popular country song...
"You're gonna miss this. You're gonna want this back..." (And thank God it does come back with your grandchildren...another crop of treasured angel babes.)

Thanks for sharing Ryan's (and your) adventures with all of us. It makes us feel like we are part of the action!