Thursday, August 14, 2008

Slow down...

You're not on the mainland! As we were driving to pick up HS from school I kept rereading the bumper sticker on the car in front of us. It was like God had decided to shine a big huge beakon on this one particular car so that I would wake-up and smell the roses. I stared at the bumper sticker. I said it in my head. Good grief, I've been wondering why I have no energy, the house is centuries behind where I would usually have a house by now after move-in, and I am still searching for the perfect dojo and activities for HS. Try as I may, there seems to be something in the air here that makes me turn into one lazy person. Now I know. The bumper sticker and God intervened to help me make some sense out of life here.

Well, yesterday mornin' I tried a very Hawaiian type of cultural encounter. I have done nothing but slow down since we got here and I decided enough was enough. I'm going to fight that urge to sit idly and "take it easy." No siree, grass won't grow under these feet. Motivate yourself. Snap out of it! Get yourself moving!!! Well, feeling very adventurous, I set out for the MWR marina to participate in the recreational paddling in outrigger canoes. HH and I sat on the porch the night before paddling, our conversation turned to my hair brained idea to paddle:
"You know there are sharks out there..." HH says slyly over his wine glass.
"Well, then I hope we don't capsize with me in the outrigger or else he better prepare for me to pop him in the nose!" I say with a grunt.
"Your friends have said it is two hours of paddling...are you sure you don't want to go to an aerobics class instead?"
"Are you saying I can't handle two hours of paddling?!?! I want to get out on the water...I'm tired of just looking at it."
"Ok, babe. I know you can do it. I'll watch LD. You go have fun."
"Of course it'll be fun. I'm finally getting a taste of Hawaiian culture....I've been searching for that since we got there and now I get the chance to full on participate."
"Just don't fall in."
"You better kiss me just in case I'm eatin' by a hammerhead."

Well, as the garage door shut and I began the drive to the marina I couldn't help but feel a little intimidated. HH was right...two hours is a long time to paddle in a boat bobbing along in the West Loch around the base. Also, it's not like my record is very good when it comes to paddling. Typically I make the canoe go in circles and I never get far from shore...how on earth was I going to paddle with five other women I've never met? (Sis where are you when I need you?!?!)

By the time I reached the marina I had almost talked myself out of it. Afterall, there was a cardio class at the gym...I knew I could kick, punch, jump, and move. Paddling with 11 other women...hmmm...no. Well, as I was just about ready to say, "gee, looks like nobody's here, a rather perky gal said, "Are you here to paddle?" Gosh..she sees me! I've been spotted! No turning back now...what else could I be doing down in the canoe area besides paddling?

"Why yes. I was thinking about paddling today"
"Oh, you'll love it!!! Come on, I'll get you started."

Thank goodness for perky personalities. They drag you into everything. You don't stand a chance. Deep down though I was grateful. As I got into my seat and held onto the paddle, prayers were sent up to God.

Please don't let me be a goon. Let the paddle stay with me and by all means let me help them paddle in the right direction! Please don't have any mean sharks lurking in wait for a poor unsuspecting paddler wearing black work-out top and blue shorts. Let them be interested in the fish over on the other side of the loch. That's all. Oh, yeah, please let me survive the two hours without huffing and puffing within the first hour. I must save face. Amen.

Well, the prayers must have worked. I began paddling and within a few minutes had found the rhthym and was totally engrossed. Until I lost focus and thought that I had spotted a fin. OK...so it was only a bobbing bottle on the water...people really shouldn't litter into the water! I was able to make it the two hours paddling and my muscles that I didn't know that I have are thanking me for finally using them. As for my new paddler friends, well, after pulling out the outrigger they asked when I was coming back. Must be because they couldn't see me being off tempo as I daydreamed in the back of the outrigger or gripped the paddle so hard for fear it would be lost within the ocean's depths and I'd have to jump in to get it.

"You bet I'll be back..." I say as I head to Hans.
"with bells on."

Slow down I am. I fully realize this isn't the mainland. If it were, I'd be doing my laundry and emptying out the dishwasher. Take it easy, ya?

No comments: