Last Saturday, HS was sitting and eating an apple for his afternoon snack as I pittered around the kitchen getting ready for our department Christmas party.
"Mommy, is my tooth loose?" he inquired.
I walked over thinking to myself that for the past year and a half or ever since he discovered everyone else was losing their teeth, but him, he has been wishing and hoping and praying that his teeth would fall out. So, thinking that this was just one of a zillion times I've peered into his mouth to check out a possible wiggle tooth only to discover that it was firmly implanted, imagine my shock when I went to wiggle it and it not only wiggled, but made a little popping sound. Ewwww...it moved! "Oh, my! It is moving!!! You've got a wiggler!!!"
All last week, the house has been abuzz with the wiggling tooth. I thought for sure that he was going to lose it when we weren't around. That thought just paralyzed me. I couldn't imagine missing such a momentous occasion after waiting for so long for him to lose his first one. With each day I picked him up from school he would point to his mouth and say, "nope...didn't lose it, yet, mommy!"
Well, this mornin' as I was laying in bed debating if I wanted to close my eyes for a few more minutes, I was thrilled to hear as footsteps charged up the stairs, "mommy....mommy...guess what?!?!? My tooth...it's fallen out!!!" I sat upright and was overjoyed as he bounded into the room with a grin from ear to ear. With a gap! He had lost it!
So, it is official. Bye, bye baby tooth...hello adult teeth. It will be like a domino effect, I'm sure. But there's more...yesterday, at the dentist, he was given the clean bill of teeth health. He's a 6 1/2 year old with a cavity free mouth, so far. The pressure is on. He has a whole new world ahead of him...with adult chompers.
Now, his focus is not on the wiggly tooth, but making preparations for the first visit from the Tooth Fairy!
2 comments:
WOW!
I cannot believe he is in the lost-a-tooth category! It seems like only yesterday that I was flying to Japan to welcome him into this world (and searching for the perfect sakura tree for his first photo op!).
I hope the tooth fairy compensated him well for this "first" of many teeth to go to the fairy kingdom!
I love you dearly...
Mom
I hope I compensated him well...I wasn't quite sure what to leave...so, went with the old tried and true...two shiny quarters and he thinks he's rich!
Post a Comment