Saturday, August 29, 2009

Grouch Amongst Us

Imagine if you will a very talkative soul. One who has never met a stranger, loves assisting when called on, and addicted to friendships spent chatting away the hours. Flashback to a week full of a school open house, friend frivolity, plenty of chat times, baptism, and loads of parties celebrating a few milestones and you will find this outgoing person having the time of her life. Although a dull headache was emerging and as she spoke, her throat felt as though it were on fire. Ever persistent, she kept taking the photographs, giggling, and never once thinking of stopping to take a snooze.

By the end of this joyous week, this gregarious woman would morph into her worst nightmare: an unfriendly and uncaring introvert. Words would cease to be spoken even though she tried her hardest. Call signs would me created, such as "wheezy" since no sound could escape the cold ravaged woman.

Days would creep by without symptoms of this nasty cold dwindling. Just when she didn't think the pain in her throat and congestion that riddled her chest wouldn't terminate, the voice that she so desperately missed returned. This woman threw a small homecoming party...chores that had piled up were finally attempted, playing and singing with her two adorable kiddos resumed, and phone calls to friends ensued.

She began the party to soon. Just as quickly as her voice returned, her head exploded and her nasal passages swelled with gook. Sounds and voices were intermittently heard. This usually carefree woman became agitated once again. Seriously? Where is the candid camera man? Who the heck invented colds anyway? As her ears began an incessant ringing of fluid filled canals and her nose swelled to the size of Texas and reddened to that akin to Rudolph's, she became incorrigible. Nights spent with a Nyquil induced grogginess as coughing fits filled her early morning hours have become her mainstay.

I have a confession. I am that woman. The sign on this post says it all. I am a grouch. Payment for me is adding up with all the times that I've been grouchy and irritable. Let's face it, when you can't hear, speak, or breathe, you're grouchy, too. There is going to be a light at the end of this cold, gloomy, sick tunnel that I'm walking through now (I cling to this thought!). One morning I will wake up and feel like my old self. Ready to tackle the laundry, chase LD around the living room as her "tickle bug", enjoy HS quirks and jokes, snuggle with HH without sputtering my gook all over, and yes...get back to experiencing the vibes that spring from doing what I do best...talking, socializing, and rarely skipping a beat. Watch out when you are around me. I apologize in advance, I'm akin right now to snake who is about to strike...I'm frustrated, tired, and oh so exhausted....of feeling like...c...r...a...p. I'll give you the $20 in advance.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Dear One,

The grouch on Sesame Street is one of everyone's favorite characters. He gets us in touch with the sometimes grouchy side of all of us. Too much to do, too many places to go, too much action can lead to overload in all of us.

PLUS...

How many times has the queen of paradise had to put up with the other's grouchness? Lots! It is always good to share the downs of life...

It makes us appreciate the joys...

Sneeze....
Drink water....
Get some rest....

The grouch will be appeased and get better. All things in their season.

Love always and forever.

Mom