Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Old Friends


I often discuss how wonderful the military lifestyle is in my blogs. I realize this. I will freely admit I am bias. Who would even think that a girl raised within a military lifestyle would turn her back on her raising? I have embraced this lifestyle and can't imagine my life without the dear friends we have met along the way. Looking back at almost thirteen years of service, we have at least one set from each tour that we have maintained contact, overlapped tours, or simply chatted our way through the years. I count myself lucky that I can have these friends. This lifestyle does not lend itself to living alone and having friends that are more like family to us keeps us sane.

Over the next week, I will immersed within dear friends' lives....a baptism (HH and I are the proud Godparents), a Change of Command, and a birthday. I have one set who is bring a boat over to Hawaii and another who is taking the helm as skipper of a squadron. The other is celebrating an additional year of their darlin' son growing and learning. For all I am overwhelmed with pride. You would think I was a sister of these families...alas, I am not. I am merely a friend. A cheerleader at best. I adore these families who have left a firm impression upon my soul.

They have each taught me more about myself, but more often than not, they have directed me to become more than what I thought I could ever be as a Navy spouse. I was raised Air Force after all, and as we all know, there is a difference in culture. I've had to learn the ropes and apply what I knew from my youth. Thank God friendships aren't directed by military protocol.

I will be witness to major events in my friends' lives this week and with each, I am bursting with pride in old friendships...the best a gal could ask for.

No comments: