Saturday, August 15, 2009

Weekly Musing


Has it really been a week and a half since I last posted? Incredible. I always believed time flew by but to not even sit down and put any of my thoughts in this blog shows that around here, time is wizzing and draining. What started off as a gloomy week full of clouds hanging thick over our little piece of paradise as tropical storm Felicia made her way to our backdoor, it is ending in moments of joy after a hard few days with one of the kiddos and has all of us gazing at the billowy clouds painted onto a crystal blue backdrop.

HS entered his second full week of school on Monday. So far, the teacher seems to be a great fit for him. It sounds like we're trying on pants, but honestly, a good fit to HS is hard to find with a teacher. He is active, inquisitive, willful, and well...everything in between. I've often thought that if he were not my son, but a student of mine, I'd probably want to run away screaming. Since I don't have that option, I will keep on saying he is wonderful but exhausting. HH and me are both hopeful that this school year will not be the behavior fiasco of last. I'm not sure I could make it through another one of those. He was awarded for all of his hard work today by appearing in front of the entire school and receiving a certificate, ice-cream freebie, and picture. He worked hard on all of his projects and it is always nice to see him rewarded for his academic prowless. He is incredible when it comes to reading and is currently enjoying 'Sherlock Holmes' and 'The Hardy Boys.' So, even if his behavior isn't always the best, he's got his intelligence to fall back on.



LD has been a busy little gal over the past week. She has enjoyed playing with new little friends and is talking up a storm. She is trying desperately to catch up with big brother and still finds that Kendo is the most incredible little playmate she could possibly have. Her big accomplishment this week has been to strip down to her diaper, enter the bathroom as I was using it, and announce: "potty". She then proceeded to sit down on her little toilet and use it. Although not fully ready to begin the rigors of toilet training, she is making incredible strides of being interested in what life without diapers would mean. I'm all for the new switch but will hold out on formal training for another few months.

We are enjoying the companionship of dear friends that we've known for over seven years as they visit Hawaii. The military has provided us the opportunity to meet some fascinating people and for that, I'm grateful. I truly adore this particular family and had a great time baking her a cake in honor of her 29th (could I please be that old again?!?) birthday and singing a rousing rendition with the kiddos of the Birthday song. She's been showcasing some of her favorite "good eats" around Oahu and I'm adoring learning more about the island from someone who views this as her "hometown". I'm dreaming of a time that we can be colocated again...I'll get off this subject before you see tear stains on your computer.

HH had officially earned the title of work-a-holic a few years ago. Now, I would say he has found true peace in his chosen profession. His days are long and full of meetings, but through all of that he has found true happiness within his job. That is something that we can all be thankful for in the current economy. I would hate it if he was miserable in his chosen career path. He saw a sign announcing a career fair yesterday and decided to check it out just for kicks. After being told how much his knowledge and experience was worth, he smiled as he announced that all that did for him was further reinforce his desire to maintain his place as a proud member of the military and not be among the civilian sector. Gotta love revelations that give you even more drive and dedication to do what you love and not give in to any pressures outside of yourself.



I am now being hailed by the princess from her all to short nap. I'm glad I was able to update and will look forward to another moment of peace when I can post our weekend adventures: my 1st concert since seeing Elton John way back in our Jacksonville days and a trip with friends to the sandbar. It's going to be a sweet weekend...I can feel it in my toes..

1 comment:

Mom said...

Dear One,

May the clouds hanging around Oahu continue to dissipate and bring you only blue skies and soft winds this weekend...

Hard working moms need grace every once in a while. Enjoy the concert. Enjoy the friends. Let joy and peace fill your heart. Remember: You are what you see yourself to be so see only the good in yourself and those around you. (You told me that once.)

Blessing and peace like a river be with you.

Mom