Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Really, I Can Help!


While checking my email this morning, I saw from the corner of my eye HS heading towards LD who had been happily blowing raspberries and cooing. Within a flash and a few grunts of "goodness, you're heavy!" HS had picked up LD and clearly was a big brother on a mission with a show of pride in his eyes at every move he made. LD had her eyes bulging and legs hanging down like big tree trunks swaying. After racing off from the computer to help him, he was very clear and adamant that he could do it himself. After all, he's the big bro right and clearly she rolled towards him, made a funny look at himm, and cooed. HS assessment: she wanted to be with him and eat. "Really, mommy, I can!"

Fighting the urge to take over, I succumbed to the wishes of a proud helper bee. I prepared the bottle, cereal, and fruit and brought it to the waiting hands of HS and the waiting mouth of LD (patience is not her middle name when it comes to eating). HS once again told me that he had it under control...really let me do it!

I sat down on the sofa (heaven forbid I tried to sit at the table) and reflected on my two kiddos. Six years was said to be too long of a time between our kids. "They'll never be close." some said. "To bad you didn't get pregnant sooner" (yeah, we just thought it would be fun to try fertility treatments). Well, at that moment at the table, 80% of the food may have been going into LD's mouth the rest was plastered onto her cheeks, forehead, ears, hair.... but who cares?!?? LD was content to enjoy moments with a big brother who is 110% in love with her and obviously, the feeling is mutual. The bond has begun.

2 comments:

Mom said...

OK...80 percent intake? That's pretty good for a first timer. He'll be a pro in no time!

You are right. Let the bonding begin! continue! grow!

Love to all.

Anonymous said...

Six years is not too long. My brother is six and a half years older than me and I think that's fine.