The Pineapple Express is coming down the tracks.
We busily board and with shout of Aloha! we are off on a 20minute excursion around the Dole Plantation to learn about the history of Mr. "Pineapple King" Dole (New Englanda by education...wicked!), the pineapple boom in Hawaii, and other Hawaiian agricultural history factoids, all while we chugged around on a little train listening to Hawaiian music.
Ok. I know. Corney and hokie. Those it may be but hey, somethings just have to be done in order to produce those itineraries you all love when you come visit us at our duty stations. Chalk it up to not wanting to disappoint any of you who plan to hop across the pond for a visit! We know all about Dole now! Especially the good part of coming out to the plantation: partaking in eating the world famous whipped pineapple! Heaven found in a bowl with soft-served pineapple ice cream and fresh pineapple topping around the side. Yum does not describe this delight.
I'm addicted. HH is addicted and he is Mr. Health Nut (ha-ha!). HS and LD are so addicted they are willing to do the stare down at one another for a lick of the pineapple icecream. You'll be addicted too once you taste the first bite. After enjoying our whipped pineapple we wandered around a courtyard full of...guess...pineapple plants.
Did you know that there are more than just one variety of pineapple? There are big ones, fat ones, little itty bitty ones, red ones, green ones, pink ones? I didn't! I was in pineapple overload! They were really cool to photograph and I couldn't get over the fact that a master pineapple planter can plant up to 10,000plants a day. That's a lot of bending and planting. Thank goodness someone's willing to do that in the name of whipped pineapple production!
Toot!Toot!Toot!
Aloha!
Get ready for your trip by exploring: www.doleplantation.com
1 comment:
Oh, my goodness, oh, my gracious...I think I can taste fresh pineapple right now...
When we went (in the dark ages) they just had a little wooden stand in the middle of the fields with a rather large gentleman chopping up chunks of pineapple and giving a lesson on how to select and cut one (still use the guidance today!)....
All of this for free...a Handy's dream treat!
We did not have the sin of whip and ice cream, however. Our guy just dipped it into confectioners sugar...
Bottom line: It was among the best things ever to cross these lips...
We cannot wait to go there again.
Post a Comment