Sunday, July 20, 2008

Watch Out...


You may just see our clan replace the stunt doubles for Indiana Jones! The other day, my clan and DF's clan proved that we could scale across wet rocks, swing from a jungle vine, and carry loads of weight on our backs (from our little darlin's) while balancing on one foot crossing many, many, many streams of water. We proved our wit, intelligence, and endurance on a three mile hike into the rugged wilderness of the windward side of Oahu. Dan-dan-dan-daaaa...dan-da-da...dan-da-da-dan-dun-du-du-da-da!

Ok...so I toot our horn. We hiked from 1000-1400 in the jungles of Oahu and had a fantastic time watching the boys as they explored and challenged their capabilities. I must say that we worked well as a big unit as we navigated safe passage across the stream (at least four different times just on the trip up and then again on the way down). The trail was much like those that we experienced in Japan. Not so much of a yellow brick road, but an infantry footpath just discovered. Roots, mud, jungle plants (DF is awesome at identification), and running water with very slippery rocks greeted us at every turn. We kept pressing forward and with each hurdle sucessfully navigated, another would surface. Our purpose was to have fun with eachother while enjoying the views of Oahu. We certainly accomplished that!

I am puzzled and yet thrilled by the various climates and scenery here on an island that is a mere 596.7 square miles. Rugged, flat, dry, and wet all disperse qualities around the island to make it form an impressive display of beauty. These attributes make it well worth becoming a pack mule as I carry LD on my back, glisten and totter on a rock tip all in order to get further down and explore the hidden beauty found along trail. Watch out Indiana Jones...we're coming for your part!

1 comment:

Mom said...

OK...

I have been trying to get a comment published for almost an hour...All I had to do was sign in...DUHHHHH! I had the computer remember the password for me...

God protects idiots and children...we know I'm not a child, so what does that make me? (Retorical question!)

Oh, by the way, I still have no idea what the password is!

Aloha