The sounds of the Air Forces' premier show group, Tops in Blue, was what any good Air Force brat will recall when you ask them about growing up in the "blue". A year couldn't go by without enjoying a show put on at a hanger, open field, or theater. In the 18 years of AF bratness, this was an event that got us all dancing and singing. At my last one, my family stood with tears as we knew that it would be the last time we would watch Tops in Blue with papa, an active duty Colonel.
Enter the world of the Navy. As most of you know, HH joined the service after we married and I will proudly admit that it has been the best thing he could have ever done for himself. The military fits him like a well worn glove. I had my doubts in the beginning, but he has proven time and time again, that the military lifestyle now pulsates through his veins (sometimes even more so than mine! I don't know how that's possible! ;)!).
This is the first time in his career that we have be stationed so close to the Air Force. Imagine my excitement when I noticed a flier up at the AAFES right before Christmas announcing that Tops in Blue was coming. My eyes lit up like stage lights and music pulsated throughout my body making me want to jump and shout for joy. It was a childhood love that I could finally showcase to my kids.
"Are you sure darlin' you want to take HS? It is the night before he heads back to school?" HH inquired after I all but blurted out the details of the show.
"I've got to take him and LD! We can't miss it!!! We may pay for it the next mornin' with him rolling out of bed like a slug, but we'll manage!" I declare.
The evening of the show was magnificent. Billowy clouds dissipated and rain held off while the Freedom tower glowed with lights and sound. It was a great place to hold the Tops in Blue. We sat on our lawn chairs, ate dinner, chatted with friends, and then....the lights went out...a deep voice boomed....
"are you ready for....Tops in Blue?!!!?" Screams, cheers, clapping as the audience went wild...you'd think we were at a rock concert, not a military show.
The show did not disappoint. With songs that went back through the decades, I found myself once again singing with the members and moving my feet to the rhythm of the drum. Only thing that was cooler than when I was a child? I got to watch the excitment unfold through my children's eyes. HS's wild dancing to Flashdance and Men in Black...LD's wide eyes and screams of glee as she clapped her chubby hands together while marveling at the lights and sound.
I have done it. I've passed along a meaningful time honored tradition from my childhood onto my kids. They're hooked. HS is even wondering when they will preform next and has been sure to mention how disappointed he'll be if he doesn't go (not a chance of that...we'll be there!) and if he has to wait a year (well...they'll probably be back same time next year).
Awwww...."deja blue" is right.....I've been touched once more by the Air Force gods...and I've been a very bad Navy wife over the past couple of days since seeing the performance...I have a certain song stuck in my head...give an Air Force Brat some time to fondly remember those days of standing and clapping next to my dad in his uniform while a whole crowd sung....
Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun.
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At'em boys, give 'er the gun!
Down we dive spouting our flame from under
Off with one helluva roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame! Hey!
Nothing'll stop the US Air Force!
1 comment:
Dear One,
You made me cry... not a sad cry, but a happy, thoughtful one...
I will always remember that last Tops in Blue right before dad retired. There was not a dry eye in the house as that song played... especially from us. We were still sitting, holding hands, and sniffling as they broke down the stage. Dad had to pry us from the chairs.
It warms my heart that you see those experiences as positive ones to share with your family. It warms it to glowing when I hear that the next generation is already hooked too.
I'm sure that the grandpa (the first of this line of professional military family) is smiling down from heaven (along with his stalwart supporter, mom/great grandma) and singing the AF song with great gusto right along with you!
Carry the flag proudly, little pooh. It has passed to you.
Love,
Mom
Post a Comment