Saturday, January 31, 2009

Po 'alima...Circle around the Island

My entry for our tour around the Big Island is going to be a little different than my usual posts. Since I was not the only one of my clan seeing the island solo, I thought I'd draw upon the ideas of my fellow adventures who took the Circle Island tour with me on Friday, Po 'alima.

So, hold onto your paddle...don't let a big wave flip your outrigger over without reading some of our collective observations (in no particular order) of the Big Island...dun-dun-daaaaa!

~ Hawaii could be called the "Big Kahuna" of islands...it was the first island the earliest Polynesians discovered using some very astounding navigational techniques using the wind, currents, and the brilliant night sky. I would have been lost in a heart beat.

~ How on earth they ever found a safe landing spot is beyond our comprehension. The cliffs along the island plunge easily 200 feet into a raging Pacific ocean.

~ Hanging out at the beach is not as important as fishing. If you think you're going to put your big toe into this water, reread #2 above.

~ The land on the big island takes on many forms. Oceans meet steep cliffs which turn into rainforests, deserts, and savannahs. Snow capped mountains preside over sweeping plains that cowboys still ride. It may be big, but don't use that as an excuse for the variation in terrain. I challenge you to give me a state in our country that has such diversity. We were amazed.

~ I've discovered my pacific island spirit place akin to Montana...drive along the coastline near Kailua-Kona to Waiema and you'll find heaven, "paradise" style.

~ Minimal population. Blink and you might miss a person. There are about 171,000 people living on the island. Yep. Sign me up for a house there!

~ We could drive 65mph for almost an hour without making any turns. I was finally free of "island" fever.

~ We're in Hawaii and we're wearing lots of layers. For 6 days I didn't put on my usual tank top and shorts. Instead, jackets, jeans, and long-sleeved shirts were the stylish items.

~ Fireplaces could really be used. Nothing takes the chill from the air better than a good ole cracklin' log.

~ Sugar cane fields, macadamia nut farms, coffee, vineyards, wineries,and cattle ranches all seem to blend in seamlessly and flourish on this beautiful island. All this under the watchful eyes of three of the world's most active volcanoes.

No comments: