Friday, January 2, 2009

Mahalo and Aloha


Ringing in the New Year is always bitter sweet for me. It's a time that I find reflecting on what was, what I had hoped, and what wasn't. This year as we donned our party hats I flashed back to holding LD as a 4-week old during a fantastic lobsta dinner that only New England can provide with my parents playing games and giggling with HS as he danced around in a pointed party hat. I fought back the tears as I realized that this year has indeed been an emotional rollercoaster. But I think I've survived.

As the final "Happy New Year" shout escaped from my HS' lips, blank stares of "what are we doing?" from LD, and toasts of champagne with HH marked our celebration of the close of 2008 and the arrival of 2009 (even though it was only 7:30 New Year's Eve), I find that closing my eyes and breathing in deeply and exhaling slowly came easily...

as I said a fond...

Mahalo 2008...thanks for providing some memorable moments~
~1st Smiles and Giggles from LD
~1st Grade for HS
~Brand new military home in Hawaii
~Farewell to charming Newport (haven't cried that hard in a long time!)
~Giggling with my mom at one of the many trips to Christmas Tree Shop
~Enjoying LD and HS bond over funny faces
~Williamsburg with my parents before moving to Hawaii
~Moving moments with my mom...thank God for her!
~Snorkeling...for the 1st time ever in Turtle cove


and a hopeful...

Aloha 2009...may you inspire me to:
~run harder, paddle longer, and snorkel further from the beach (gotta conquer that fear of Jaws lurking)
~scrapbook HS and LD's baby books
~practice my Nihongo
~explore the facets of Hawaii that I've ignored
~enjoy every moment I can with HS and LD
~live everyday to its fullest potential

Happy New Year to you and yours. May you be touched each day with something special, something memorable, and feed your soul with love, faith, and friendships. When you're in need of some warmth, our hale is always open.

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

1 comment:

The Yerger's said...

Ahhh, wish we could come visit and snorkel together, that would be so much fun. But a job beckons in my future, yuck! Ali and Dave are headed to Guam here soon, they will be closer to you guys. Happy New Year!