Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thankful Thoughts...Kindred Spirits


“Kindred Spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. Its splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.”
~Anne of Green Gables


Over the past few weeks, people have stepped in to offer assistance from the most menial to monumental tasks. The constant motion of a military life makes you extremely dependant surrounding yourself with good friends. Some, if you're lucky, become as close as family. Some of the people who step in to help are already members of my family. I'm surrounded by kindred spirits...people who make me a better person, share similar talents, or dare me to step away from my comfort zone of type-A personality.


Thankful for Kindred Spirits

Mom and Sister:
I remember when I was in middle school, my mother and I fought like cats and dogs. It was terrible. We (usually me) screamed, fussed, fumed, stormed and otherwise had very little healthy communication. Now, I wish I could take those moments back. Although we don't always agree, she is the first person that I think of to call when I really need to vent or cry. I know she'll listen and offer advice, but she'll never push me to make a decision based upon what she says. I have made many of my best choices after our phone calls. "I really wanted a brother..." my sister told me when I was also in that same tumultuous years of middle school. That statement drilled right through my core. I haven't forgotten it. Yet, I said some pretty bad things to her, too. She is the one person who never forgot to send a finals care package when I was in college, the first person to call and ask how a major event went, and the first person who will stay on the line and chat for an hour and a half without us even realizing we've been talking that long. God made us sisters, but our hearts have made us friends.

Long Time Friends:
Some friends have been in my life since I was very young. We've kept touch, called, and shed tears of happiness at our weddings. Others were made very early on our military road and we've rejoiced when our tours are co located, , chatted frequently when they weren't, enjoyed many dinners and outings, cried hard when the moving truck departed with household goods to a new duty assignment, and it is clear why our kids refer to these individuals and "Aunt" and "Uncle". These are the friends that don't have to ask how my day has been...they can tell just by my tone of voice.

New Friends:
A cup of coffee at Starbucks, chats on the lanai, walks around our island, and wonderful dinners shared between families have new friends quickly becoming dear friends. This tour I've been lucky to meet several ladies that have over the year, become near and dear to my heart. I have no doubt that years from now, we'll still be picking up the phone, laughing over TV shows, or fuming over long hours at work.

No comments: